Escape to Belize

If you aren’t the biggest fan of winter like me, the weather in State College has been kind of miserable (the snow is pretty, the cold not so much :(). Although we probably won’t get warm weather for a few more months, I thought it would be the perfect time to get into some more of my tropical bucket list destinations, starting with Belize. It’s warm year long with January, the coldest month, having a “low” average temperature of 75 F (I wish that was our low in PA). Located next to the Caribbean Sea, Belize is a Central American country known for its stunning rainforests, coral reefs and mini islands.

Where is Belize map
A Central American country, Belize is located right next to Mexico, Guatemala and the Caribbean Sea.

First up: Caye Caulker. 

Measuring only 5 miles long, Caye Caulker is still surprisingly the second largest of Belizean cayes and there’s nearly 400! and offers a beautiful and serene shoreline. It is often less visited in comparison to the more sophisticated and luxurious Ambergris Caye, but is a popular stop for anyone seeking a budget-friendly trip. What really caught my eye about this particular caye was its carefree and relaxed environment with welcoming residents; their motto is literally “go slow” with street signs like “No Shirt, No Shoes…No Problem.” 

Caye Caulker: Marley meets Madonna ⋆ Weltreize
Just one of the many murals you will find across the island

One of the most relaxing places has to be the “Split,” a divide in the island caused by a narrow channel (which was actually created due to the destructive 165-mph winds of Hurricane Hattie in 1961).

The Split in Caye Caulker Belize - Lazy Lizard Bar & Grill
There’s a literal split at The Split!

Now, it’s a cherished hangout for locals and tourists alike, offering watersports, snorkeling and good food. If you are 18 and older, you can even check out the legendary Lazy Lizard Bar with its own rooftop lounge for, you guessed it, the best views. 

The island also boasts amazing sites for manatee and alligator-watching (which I never knew was a thing) or a 100-acre forest reserve with lush mangrove trees and plenty of exotic animals. Perfect for animal enthusiasts and adventurists alike!

Next up is San Ignacio, or more commonly known as Cayo. This popular town in Cayo district is primarily a hub for backpackers to rest before continuing their journey to Guatemala, but it’s also a treasure trove full of cultural significance. Cahal Pech and Xunantunich are two very popular archaeological ruins that offer a glimpse into Mayan culture thousands of years ago.

Xunantunich Mayan Ruins Tour an Ancient Archaeological Site
Aerial view of Xunantunich

Both could be hiked alone but if you hope to get the amazing story behind the ancient civilization, I definitely recommend joining a tour group that often starts at 50 BZD (25 USD) for two hours. If hiking is not your thing, Burns street, the main street in Cayo with bustling markets and stalls selling everything from vegetables, medicinal herbs and artwork, may be up your alley for an afternoon adventure.

File:Burns Ave in San Ignacio.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Burns street has everything from dining to shopping

One last place I wanted to mention in Cayo is the Green Hills Butterfly Ranch. If you know me, I love anything botanical and butterfly so when I learned that it’s home to more than 30 native butterfly species and flowers, I knew it was going on my bucket list. 

Just writing this post in the middle of a winter storm made me want to go to Belize even more and I can’t wait until I am soaking in the rays in the Caribbean one day!

3 thoughts on “Escape to Belize

1. As someone who is a fan of warm weather myself, I completely get wanting to escape to Belize out of the cold weather here at State College. Belize sounds like an extremely relaxing place to maybe visit someday and I’m definitely going to want to see and walk the entirety of Caye Calker if I do. While I am not especially interested in history, one look at the ruins in the picture made me want to explore it myself. Overall, I think Belize might be joining my bucket list as well.

2. This was a great post! I agree that the weather here can get a bit tiring so it´s great to think of going places that have the opposite weather. I am actually going to Belize for spring break so this was really useful information to know what places to visit and for what activities!

3. I’m so sick of the weather here at this point, so I totally agree with wanting to go somewhere warm! I really liked the details you shared about Belize. I’ve never been but it sounds like a really beautiful place to go. The most appealing thing to me about this is the water sports and the snorkeling.