RSS Feed

“The Oxymoron that is Christian Rock” starring Family Force 5

March 21, 2014 by Dylan Johnson   

This week’s blog post is about a genre of music that is often misunderstood and speculated about by the general population, the consistently asked question being – how can Christian music also be considered rock? To devout Christians and rock purists alike, this genre is a complete farce, as it incorporates elements of each side that the other doesn’t agree with. Many rock enthusiasts will say Christian rock is weak in its meaning, and Christian music can’t also be about partying and enjoying life. Christians will argue that rock music is of the devil and anything written that doesn’t directly honor God is blasphemy (you may think I’m exaggerating here but in truth I’ve had real friends say these exact words on both sides of the coin). To many bands who classify themselves as Christian Rock, the goal is to reach out to the crowds who normally wouldn’t attend church because it sounds preachy, while writing good music in the process. The band this week is Family Force 5 a group from Atlanta Georgia and founded by three brothers – Solomon Olds, and twins Jacob and Joshua Olds. Family Force 5 represents the perfect mixture of rock and the christian message, which works as a machine to deliver the word of God to many nonbelievers while jamming out.

untitled bu untitled1

The first song I’d like to look at is titled Luv Addict, which is off the album Business Up Front  / Party in the Back. The song is about loving Jesus and letting everyone else know about the peace that he can bring to others, but FF5 keeps the song from becoming a sermon by using distorted guitars and a semi-hip hop beat progression. The song starts with someone shouting “Hold up wait a minute, put a little love in it” and then immediately kicks in to a bouncing bass and guitar rhythm. Though the line isn’t very difficult, its simplicity makes it easy to nod your head to and get into, which gets people interested in the words. The chorus of the vocals relate being a Christian to being high off drugs, the leads sing “Can’t kick the habit, I’ve got to have it, I’m what they call a love addict, love addict” while a backing vocalist agrees emphatically with “Heys” and “Yeahs” to encourage the listener’s head nodding. This chorus works on two levels, making current Christians proud to be Christian, and persuading people who understand drug dependency to consider the Christian drug, it might work out better for them.

Another song by FF5 which is more secular would be Lose Urself, from the same album. Lose Urself is mostly a stereotypical song about meeting a love interest at a party, though it doesn’t necessarily sit well with devout Christians, this song helps FF5 relate to average teens and young adults by showing they are still human with human desires. Throughout the song there is a prominent slap bass line that makes people wanna dance along to, which helps promote the vocals. In the chorus, the lead sings “Don’t you walk away from me, cause I’ve got to get you next to me,  if you’ve got game girl step to me, just lose them friends and dance with me. Dance next to me, dance next to me, oh please oh please oh can’t you see, that I’ve got to get you baby to lose yourself in me.” This song has absolutely no Christian agenda behind it, its just a rock song about meeting a girl, and it does so much paired with the other to show the versatility that exists within Family Force 5.

Family Force 5 doesn’t work hard to fit anyone’s mold for a music genre, honestly they couldn’t care less what a majority thinks of them. All they want is to have fun writing music and spreading the word of God to those interested in listening, a modest goal leading to huge success. Family Force 5’s attitude towards their music genre is the embodiment of Christian Rock and fans of the genre as a whole, none of them care whether you like the genre, they are gonna keep on rocking out no matter what you think.

Some of Family Force 5’s songs are listed below:

Luv Addict –

Replace Me –

Lose Urself –

»

You must be logged in to post a comment.