The Emergence of Rock ‘N’ Roll

As I turn into the next semester of my college experience, I want to switch my topic to something surrounding the commonplace of music in society. Throughout the generations/eras, especially since the 50s with the introduction of Rock n’ Roll, the British Invasion, Hippie Rock, and many more ranging to even present-day. Music is constantly shaping culture and vice versa. They are interchangeable as to which affects which in terms of mindset, politics, interests, and other aspects of culture during that era. In my blog, I will mainly write on how music has shaped the culture of that time. I will follow a chronological order in my blogs to more thoroughly highlight the change in culture and music. 

Firstly, the introduction of Rock n’ Roll in society stirred generational strife that introduced new norms into society. Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, these artists introduced new norms such as dancing, phrases, and style. They additionally created a divide in generational groups between parent and child. The parent grew up in a socially conservative culture that disallowed any tangent from those norms. With the introduction of these artists, a more liberal view of social culture evolved. With sexualized lyrics and dancing, parents argued against the evolving genre, believing rock n roll to be linked to increased delinquency and the end of morality in America (1). 

The 1950s were a turning point from the end of World War II in the mid 40s. The baby boomer generation was surging, and with this new generation called for a new mindset, especially with music choice. While the new generation was still young, the 50s were a time of great change. 

Rock ‘N’ Roll was a combination of genres including blues and pop. At the time, jazz and classical music were still popular and largely played by older generations. Rock ‘N’ Roll introduced a little heaviness unseen in music at the time. Between the guitar, drums, and bass was intense vocals the charged the songs into an emotional roller coaster that younger demographics could not get enough of. At the height of this scene was Elvis Presley, with hits like Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, Suspicious Minds, and many more hits that would eventually define the decade. His sound influenced other artists after him towards more high-tempo, dancing melodies.

Other influential rock ‘n’ roll songs of the 1950s include Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry, Tutti-Frutti by Little Richard, and That’ll be the Day by Buddy Holly and the Crickets. These songs heavily relied on the guitar for the classic rock ‘n’ roll sound with repetitive, but catchy lyrics that reflected the culture of love, growing anti-war sentiments, and rebellion of the new generation. 

While this era strongly ties to the 60s and the emerging counterculture, I chose to write separately from the 60s because this culture emerged between The Korean War and the height of the Vietnam War in the 60s and into the 70s. The 50s are a distinct change in mindset between generations with the introduction of music that challenged norms in society, that massively influenced music of the 60s and even after to present day. 

1. “Rock ‘n’ Roll and Moral Panics.” University of Southern Indiana, www.usi.edu/news/releases/2017/02/rock-n-roll-and-moral-panics-part-one-1950s-and-1960s/.

One thought on “The Emergence of Rock ‘N’ Roll”

1. I enjoyed reading this! I don’t really have much of a backing about the history of music. I only took a music class in 8th grade because it was required and all I remember is that we made an amusement park based on music and I think that’s all we did. I appreciate your knowledge of the topic at hand, and this was an informative overview.