Unmasking the Illusion of Social Media Confidence

Social media

Imagine a reality where the definition of beauty has transformed through the ages, from Renaissance portraits to Instagram filters, revealing the captivating journey of evolution and its entangled relationship with the ever-scrolling realm of social media.

All too often I see the devastating effects of social media on this generation’s youth. All too often I hear about the deteriorating mental health and self-confidence levels of my fellow Gen Zers. All too often I get frustrated by this reality shrouded in misconceptions about the true meaning of beauty.

Now imagine an alternate reality where everyone is educated on the actual definition of beauty and its origins. 

I created this blog intending to enlighten my readers about the wonders of beauty and the horrific implications current social media trends have subjected its estimated 4.9 billion users to in the past 20 years (Wong 2023). I am especially qualified to talk on such a topic as I consider myself a unique case; I did not have social media. I was unaware of its existence until I was well past the impressionable ages of childhood and early adolescence. 

I witnessed the gruesome scene of social media users of all ages finding themselves chasing after unobtainable and ever-changing beauty standards, only to succumb to their terrible fate after not being able to reach such goals. I watched how social media exploited the minds of the young leaving them in a surreal state, unaware of social media’s actual intentions. Social media is aware of our unawareness and from this, the platform created trends such as the Body Positivity Movement. 

Body Positivity Movement

Body positivity was once an all-inclusive term focusing on promoting the self-acceptance of one’s deviations from the traditional beauty standards; however, it recently has evolved into a watered-down version that ignores possible negative health repercussions. Its advocates have taken the well-meaning platform and transformed the movement into a scheme that hyperinflates the confidence of its followers. This hyperinflation of self-confidence in social media is a direct result of its users supporting a false narrative that everyone fits in their own unique mold.

In the last post, I spoke on the idea of unconventional beauty compared to those who fit into conventional beauty. Indeed, someone can still be perceived as beautiful without being a supermodel, but understanding that not fitting the beauty standards is not an attack on those outside the rigid mold. Not fitting the mold is not the end of the world; it is also not an invitation to create your own mold. While fitting in the mold might be the standard, your confidence in being true to yourself, even if you don’t fit, is what truly stands out. 

Your confidence should stem from the comfort of accepting yourself as you are.

Works Cited

Wong, Belle, JD. “Top Social Media Statistics and Trends of 2023.” Forbes Advisor, 18 May 2023, www.forbes.com/advisor/business/social-media-statistics.

Separator image .