In the happiest place on Earth, there is such a place which brings together cultures from all around the world, and where people can discover new things that will teach them how to improve the future. This place is called the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, or EPCOT. EPCOT was created to teach others about the world and to inspire a new wonder at people’s pasts and futures and help the people of the world create a better one. Similarly, the United Nations is an organization of 193 countries that come together to help create a better future by dealing with global issues such as human rights, poverty, education, health and the environment.
History:( maybe add this into intro?)
The United Nations was established on October 24, 1945, after the second World War as a way for nations to come together and discuss issues before war would break out. This was a replacement for the League of Nations, which was put in place after the first World War. While this league was proposed by President Woodrow Wilson with is 14 points, it was vetoed by the Senate? (HoR), so the United States was not actually a part of it. This obviously failed as World War II broke out, and afterword the United Nations was formed. They continually worked and met together to help create a better future and resolve conflicts peacefully. In 2015 they established the millennium developmental goals to improve the world further.
To eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
· UN calls this a condition characterized by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information. It depends not only on income but also on access to services
· What are they doing to achieve this?
· How is it working?
To achieve universal primary education
· UN defines this as “ensuring that by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling”
· More educated= better prepared to combat the issues faced in the world
o Basically, eradicate things like poverty and terrible diseases and such
· What are they doing to achieve this
· How is it working
· Maybe talk about Malala or something idk
To promote gender equality and empower women
· Equal access to opportunities for both genders
· Women can now drive
· (Should I make these all one thing under health)
o To reduce child mortality
§ What is child mortality
§ What causes it
§ How is the UN fixing this
§ Are they successful so far
o To improve maternal health
§ Planned parenthood?
§ What are they doing
o To combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
o How are they trying to fix this
To ensure environmental sustainability
· Global warming
· Talk about leaving the Paris agreement
To develop a global partnership for development
· Like trading and how to address specific problems for each problem
Maybe talk about how they thought about leaving the UN(not sure if this is even still on the table but look more into this)