MVP Race Gets Toxic

Sports fans are, typically, very invested in their teams. This can be positive, as it gives them something to root for, perhaps a group of friends that share a common goal, and a relaxing event to watch. However, it can also lead to some toxicity. Unfortunately, that has become the case due to this year’s NBA MVP race. On this episode of Real Housewives of the NBA, we discuss how three generally personable players are the source of so much vitriol.

Embiid is top 3 in the MVP race but was not an All-Star Game starter this year.

The subjects: Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), and Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks). All three are tremendous players leading their respective teams toward or to the top of their conferences. Jokic is an offensive savant, the best passing center of all time and a triple-double machine. Giannis is built like a Greek god and operates like a train through defenses, and has won Defensive Player of the Year before. Embiid is a dominant force on both ends, as one of the top scorers in the league and an intimidating defensive force. All three seem to get along with each other when they face off, though their fanbases are much different.

An important point to note is that Embiid is the only one of the three without a Most Valuable Player award. Jokic has won it the last two seasons, and Giannis took it home the two seasons prior. Embiid himself has made it known he wants an MVP, but will mostly let his play do the talking while fans and teammates campaign for him. 76ers fans, upset that he hasn’t gotten MVP recognition, have noticeably become more aggressive in campaigning for him, which brings me to the main drama at hand. Fans have become so obsessed with the MVP race that they are ignoring the greatness unfolding in front of them.

Jokic is flying up the all-time assists and triple-doubles leaderboards.

Philadelphians are infamous for not being the most polite of populations. As such, some have taken to social media to trash the other two MVP candidates, particularly Jokic. The Nuggets’ star has his struggles on defense, and Embiid supporters rush to post Jokic defensive lowlights on Twitter and Reddit (the main sources of all this controversy). Jokic supporters will fight back with Embiid turnovers, claims of him flopping to draw fouls, and your choice of four-letter words (something Philadelphians are familiar with). Giannis fans are kind of just there at the moment, as he seems to be in third place but has been playing well as of late. They can soak in the drama of the other two while enjoying the opportunity to trash both when warranted.

Giannis fans are kind of just there at the moment.

Unfortunately, fans are missing the point. Embiid, Jokic, and Antetokounmpo are ridiculously good athletes that we are lucky to watch on a nightly basis. I’m a 76ers fan, so I of course prefer Embiid, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love watching Jokic’s playmaking and Giannis’s defense. All three deserve their praise, and it will be a sad day when each retires. Let’s focusing on enjoying what we have and letting the competition play out on the court, not on social media.

With that said, Embiid is the MVP and I will not hear other opinions.

3 thoughts on “MVP Race Gets Toxic

1. I really enjoyed this different take on the subject(s) of the issue at hand. Typically, it has been the players themselves who are making a ruckus, but this time it’s the fanbases. It really seems that the three players themselves are not trying to compete or bring each other down, which I think is such a great thing! It shows that good sportsmanship is not lost on every NBA player.

2. One of the most aggravating things about fanbases is their tendencies to get over-the-top with “supporting” their favorite celebrities. Fans can become so obsessed with them that they sometimes even forget what the celebrities stand for! I really wish they could reel in their more argumentative sides so that taking in celebrity media could be more enjoyable.

3. Having the pleasure of being in the room while my friends wither hype or tear down different opponents of the 76’ers has been my personal purgatory. As someone who has seen firsthand how volatile NBA players can be, I sometimes feel bad for them. A player can be idolized one day and absolutely torn down the next by their fans. This being said, I have heard these three players name’s being tossed around recently, and just hope that they continue to remain on good terms and not let fan bases get to their heads.