Kings Take Back Pacific Crown After 20 Years

I always enjoy seeing underdog stories, and this year’s Sacramento Kings were certainly one of them. The Kings have not been in the playoffs since 2006 and have not won a playoff series since 2004. Though nobody predicted that streak to change this year, Sacramento came out of nowhere to win the Pacific Division for the first time since that 2002-03 season and will be a top 3 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. On this episode of Real Housewives of the NBA, we explore what turned Sacramento around.

Though divisions don’t matter for standings anymore, it is still a mark of achievement for Sacramento to finally be back on top of the Pacific Division, which includes four (mostly) quality teams in the Suns, Warriors, Clippers, and Lakers. With 3 games left in the season at the time of this writing, Sacramento is 4 games ahead of Phoenix, who is fourth in the West, and secured the top 3 seed. They still have a chance to steal the #2 seed, as they are 2 games back of Memphis, but no one will be disappointed with #3.

The Kings have become popular this year for lighting a purple beam after every home win.

Last season, the Kings made a trade with the Indiana Pacers that brought much criticism. They sent guard Tyrese Haliburton for forward/center Domantas Sabonis, who had been a good but not truly great player for multiple seasons. Haliburton had a great first two seasons and made it known he was sad to leave Sacramento (the first person in 20 years to feel that way) and Sacramento caught heat from all sides. However, it worked out well considering their offseason moves.

The Kings, who have made absolutely garbage draft picks like Marvin Bagley, did well this past year with the selection of forward Keegan Murray. Though not a superstar as one may expect from a #4 pick, Murray has slid in perfectly to the Kings’ starting lineup and delivered 12 points per game with steady shooting. Veteran Harrison Barnes filled out the front court, and sharpshooter Kevin “Red Velvet” Huerter shot the lights out as Haliburton’s replacement. The Kings struggle on defense, but are gifted offensively, led by their star point guard De’Aaron Fox.

Now finishing up his sixth season, Fox is averaging 25 points per game with 6 assists and is the clear star of the team. He is one of the quickest players in the league and has come a long way from a raw prospect that had limited shot-making ability. In a game mostly centered around the rim, he is shooting over 50% from the field and is the frontrunner for the new Clutch Player of the Year Award.

Sabonis and Fox have become one of the league’s most dynamic duos.

Also of particular importance to all of you: I drafted (without thinking about it) 4 of the Kings’ starters for my fantasy basketball team. I had the best record in the regular season, in no small part due to Fox and Sabonis, and finished 2nd in the playoffs (sadly). I would not be disappointed if I ended up with the same players next year.

I’m wishing Sacramento the best in the playoffs, and will be rooting hard for them to finally exorcise their demons by winning a series. Coach Mike Brown deserves Coach of the Year consideration, and I expect that won’t be the only award heading to Sacramento this year.

3 thoughts on “Kings Take Back Pacific Crown After 20 Years

1. I enjoyed reading about this comeback for Sacramento. Like you, I’m always up for a good underdog story, and it really seems like the Kings deserve a chance to win. All of the players seem to be putting in the effort to make the whole team succeed, which is great to see! P.S. Congrats on your fantasy basketball draft wins!

2. I noticed the nickname you included for the Kings’ sharpshooter Kevin Huerter, and had to do some research myself to see where “Red Velvet” came from. After watching a (cringey) video from Bleacher Report, I found that Huerter dubbed himself that name to compare his “smooth jump shots” to the smooth texture of a red velvet cupcake. This was certainly something I didn’t know before, and if his baskets are as smooth as he claims, that would definitely help explain part of Sacramento’s turnaround!

3. First of all, congrats on your picks for the fantasy basketball draft! I am sure lots of number crunching and stats went into that, lol. Its always great to see a new player slide right into their groove with a team. I am so glad that they have finally found a player that works for them, despite their usually horrible picks. Evidently, hard work pays off, and it’s so nice to see players getting the recognition they deserve. Great post!