Lesson 13 Overall Course Reflection

You don’t know what you know until you know it.

Last week I was invited into a meeting to bring employee involvement perspective on how they could “change the culture” by utilizing grass roots bottom up approach with manufacturing employees while not involving executive leadership.  I found myself both taking a lot of notes and asking a lot of questions such as,

• I want to make sure I understand what you are asking…can you share with me what the word “culture” means to you?
  • you stated that this mechanics program was used about 7 years ago, in your opinion what made it successful? why did it fail?
  • what were the actual results / changes?
  • There are a lot of complexities involved, how do you know there is correlation between the quality results you shared and the program?
  • Did you previous evaluate the program?
  • How do you intend on evaluating the current reality so that we know where to focus?

After the meeting, I was pulled aside by one of the attendees who told me I was being quite combative and negative towards this “opportunity” – this comment took me by surprise.  Back to my comment I started this post, you don’t know what you don’t know until you know it. Because of this course and the emphasis on evaluation I now approach my work and “potential opportunities” with new eyes.

1 thought on “Lesson 13 Overall Course Reflection

1. I started this post, you don’t know what you don’t know until you know it. Because of this course and the emphasis on evaluation I now approach my work.