The Art of the Tango

I love watching partner dances. Whether that be salsa dances, tangos, or ballroom dancing, it is remarkable how two people can perfectly complement each other. What I especially enjoy about tangos is just how precisely each participant must move so that the two separate parts can mesh together in time with the music. Each person has their own role in each movement where, as one flourishes and jumps about, the other grounds them. Perhaps one is leading the steps and the other follows suit, or the partners mirror each other in sync. The beauty of having these different roles and flowing into different parts of the dance is what makes it so fascinating to watch.

Once again, I have gone on one of my artsy tangents, but this concept of moving to match with someone is essential in many hostile scenarios.

Lesson #7: Move

In previous blogs, I have mentioned that sometimes your best option is to try to escape or dodge rather than attack head-on. Well, to do that, you have to know how to move in such a way that allows you to escape.

Before we get into the intricacies of when and where to move, we must first discuss how to move. It isn’t something people often think of since we have been walking from birth, but consider how you stand and what you are doing with your weight. Do you lean back on your heels naturally? Have a favorite side to shift to? Or are you always on your toes or shuffling about? Everyone has different tendencies, but in a hostile scenario, it is best to be ready to move. This means shifting your weight to your toes and to whichever side you need to escape to. This prepares the flight response.

Next, you need to think about where you are going to go. This is where the tango rant from earlier comes in. I have seen some masterful sparring matches that look like a choreographed dance, with each person reading the other’s movements and matching them. In a self defense situation, you have to think about doing the same.

For example, if the attacker is charging straight at you, and you are up against the wall, you can’t go back, and you certainly shouldn’t charge forward. So, your options are to move to one side, preferably whichever has more room or the best escape route. In a different situation, the person may be slowly coming towards you. Do not let yourself get backed into a corner. You need to match their steps in the opposite direction. If they move towards you from the right, try to move away to the left. If that is blocked, a sudden burst of speed in the clearest direction may work. To aid in your escape, any distraction is helpful, such as shouting, pepper spray, or throwing something. Whatever you can use to your advantage, use it.

As a reminder, these are just a few tips to help if you’re ever in a precarious situation, but trying to run may not always be your best option, especially if there are multiple attackers or a gun involved.

3 thoughts on “The Art of the Tango

1. This is a very interesting take on self-defense! I didn’t know that there were so many things to consider when reacting to such a situation. Perhaps the reason why so many people lack adequate results from self-defense is because they just gotta dig a little deeper into the specifics of the movements! Things like your blog are an amazing source for that!

2. I agree, I love watching partner dances!! I really enjoy seeing the amazing way people move and dance around, along with being so insync with their partners. I’ve never really thought about movement itself though, Its interesting the point you made about hows its not something you think of, rather just something that happens.

3. Love the introduction to your piece this week! It is always interesting to read how you connect outside elements into self-defense. Make sure you include pictures!