Health Scares

When we think about health, maybe we think about dieting, or fitness, possibly cardio pops into your head. But we also think about the hospital, sickness, and debilitating injuries. This is a form of health that everyone has struggled with in life. Whether you are lucky enough to have your worst health issue be the flu, or if you are someone who has a serious health issue affecting your everyday life, you have undoubtedly noticed a change when having these health issues.

Common Health Issues That Plagues Americans | Lehigh Medical

But I would say that most people have experienced serious health issues second-hand. This could come from a grandparent becoming sick, a diagnosis of cancer in a family member, or an uncle having a heart attack. In my case, a serious health problem came from my dad.

When I was 5, my dad had an AVM while lifting in the gym. It is a little ironic because he was at the gym trying to get healthy when he actually triggered the AVM in his brain to rupture. While I was only five and had no true idea of the seriousness of the problem, I knew after seeing my dad wheeled out on a stretcher, that something had gone terribly wrong.

This was my first introduction to health concerns, but it certainly would not be my last. I learned that serious health issues have lasting effects and can cause other problems in the future. My dad’s AVM did this exact thing. In 2010, my dad had a seizure on the bathroom floor after going on a run outside. Given the fact that he had no history of seizures, it was a very abnormal event. However, it made me realize how easily ailments and medical issues can affect daily life. Because the AVM and seizure came out of nowhere, there was no preparation. No plan for how to handle the situation. Yet, this encouraged a large amount of familial collaboration to make the whole situation easier for everyone.

Top 10 Men's Health Issues - Clinical Advisor

So a large takeaway from this is that everyone suffers health issues and emergencies, but these emergencies can really lend themselves as learning opportunities and moments of growth. While these emergencies may not be healthy because of the stress and pressure involved, they are healthy because of the mental growth that results.

2 thoughts on “Health Scares”

1. Hi Mike,

I wanted to say thank you for sharing your story. Everyone knows someone with health problems, but writing about it and learning from it is very tough to do. Your article has given me a new perspective on physical activities, specifically the importance of living a healthy life so you can enjoy the best parts.