About Me

Olivia Miller
The Pennsylvania State University
Class of 2016
Division of Undergraduate Studies
onm5006@psu.edu

Born and raised in Meadville, Pennsylvania, I am now a freshman studying at the Pennsylvania State University. I am currently enrolled in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, but I have a big interest in Chemical Engineering. My friends, family, and teachers often advised me to pursue a major in engineering due to my strengths in mathematics and the sciences. I took their advice and I am currently exploring possible majors in engineering. The more I learn about engineering, the more I think this career path will be the right choice for me. The branch of engineering that has captivated me the most is Chemical Engineering. I hope to one day provide a meaningful contribution to the Chemical Engineering field with my creative and academic talents.

As a student, I have always been a hard worker. Academically, I have always tired to challenge myself, and in high school I enrolled in the most challenging courses available. I knew that entering into Penn State as an engineering major would be challenging, but I am excited to see how much I will grow academically over the next four years. Over the years, I have learned that hard work pays off and I know that if I continue to work hard Penn State will take me great places.

In addition to academics, I love to immerse myself in activities and service. Throughout my four years of high school I played varsity soccer, and during my senior year I acted as captain for the team. I also participated in dance classes for the duration of high school. I was a member of National Honors Society, French Club, Key Club and Meadville Economics and Business Club, where I served as the advertising manager for the school store. I also enjoyed playing my oboe in the high school concert band, District Band, and Community Band. In my church community I was a member of a youth choir called S.H.O.U.T. With S.H.O.U.T. I had the privilege of performing many community services, such as singing for nursing home residents. I also had the opportunity to volunteer my time at the Northwestern Sight Center in Erie, PA where I taught dance classes to visually impaired students. I was also involved in additional service activities outside of school.

Here at Penn State, I am a member of a THON Organization called “Everyday.” With this organization I have had the opportunity to help raise money for the Four Diamonds Fund. I have participated in canning trips, spaghetti dinners and other various service projects. In addition to THON, I also participate in intramural soccer.
I have not had any work experience directly involving engineering yet, but I have held a job as a customer service clerk and cashier at Hank’s Frozen Custard in Conneaut Lake, PA. I have been working at Hank’s for three years, and will return again this summer. By helping run the operations of this local business I have become a valuable employee. I put the same amount of hard work and dedication into working at Hank’s as I put into my academics and service projects.
I am excited to see where Penn State takes me over the course of the next four years. I know it will not be easy, but I am confident that I will work hard. I hope to continue to challenge myself academically and beyond. Please feel free to contact me using the information at the top of the page.

2 thoughts on “About Me

1. After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any means you can take away me from that service? Thanks!

2. So go ahead, dance like movements that are
    adapted from the way animals react and move. Handmade Practical Musashi Samurai Katana Sword Sharp
    247Swords. Gymnasiums and martial art training schools too can consider buying punching bobs for their
    students for effective practices. I suggest removing from the
    decision things around the” in” song. Kicking slower and
    at a lower high will give you training to fight, how to retain them, and they can also improve
    their coordination and flexibility are a few tips for finding the right dojo.