Jo Koy

In my last blog post, I talked about how the new movie “Saltburn” took over my TikTok for you page. Well, I am going to be honest, two weeks have passed by and I am still on Saltburn TikTok and I have now watched the movie not one, not two, but yes I have fallen victim to it three times. Now besides being on Saltburn TikTok, I was also on the Golden Globe side of TikTok. While on TikTok I found that I love watching TikTok’s about different award shows and ceremonies because I live to see people’s outfits and the interviews they have on the carpet. That being said, that is exactly what I did, I mindlessly scrolled TikTok watching different outfits and interviews and then I came across a video of a comedian I had never heard of before… Jo Koy. To be honest, a lot of people might know who Jo Koy is, but for me, I am not well-versed with comedians.

Golden Globes 2023 Celebrity Red Carpet Dresses and Looks
Golden Globe Outfits

Anyway let’s get started on what happen during his hosting. So, Jo Koy hosted the Golden Globes earlier this January and a lot of people are giving him backlash on the things he was saying during his speech. First off, he started talking about how Taylor Swift did not get as many camera shots in the Golden Globes as she did on ESPN and on Cheifs gamedays. Now, I am not a huge Taylor Swift fan, but I do not hate her, so I think that a lot of people that like her were upset about it, which makes sense because they wanted to back her up. I will say that Taylor Swift going to cheer on her “boyfriend” at his football game and the Camera’s following her is not really her fault.

Taylor Swift gives host Jo Koy a 'deadly stare' after 'unnecessarily rude' 2024 Golden Globes joke
Jo Koy & Taylor Swift

Jo Koy then  went on to talk about how the new Barbie movie was simply about a plastic doll with big boobs. After Koy said this joke the crowd that was at the Golden Globes did not think that it was funny, which is rightfully so. After the Golden Globes and after word spread on social media Jo Koy got a lot of backlash and hate. He then came out with a statement that said that he only had 10 days to come up with his jokes so that is why they were not as “good”. In my opinion, if you are a comedian and do this for a living, should it really take you 10 days to come up with good non-sexist jokes?

What did Jo Koy say about Barbie at the 2024 Golden Globe Awards? | The US Sun
Jo Koy

3 comments on “Jo KoyAdd yours →

1. Jo Koy was a vaguely familiar name for me, but I really didn’t learn who he was until after the Golden Globes too. I don’t think the Taylor Swift comment was necessary, but as someone who is a bigger NFL fan than Swift, I do think it’s a little drawn out how much she’s shown during games. I agree with your final question. I enjoyed the Barbie movie and its message, and he clearly missed it. If you’re a professional comedian it should not take you longer than 10 whole days to create a monologue that’s appropriate for an awards show. I also wondered if his monologue had to be reviewed by someone and if it was, how was that joke left in.

2. I did not know his name but I did see stuff regarding him on TikTok; it’s nice putting a face to a name. He was quite ridiculous and should not be considered a comedian since he is not funny and has to make sexist jokes. The fact that his coverup for this “scandal” or whatever you would like to call it just shows that he does not take his job seriously nor is he a comedian. The Barbie movie comment irks me more than Taylor, I think he’s a joke (lol).

3. I liked to watch comedy sets on YouTube in my free time, so I was familiar with Jo Koy’s material and his type of humor and audience. So, to see this happen is not a bit surprising as he is a “shock jock” type of comedian which really does not translate well when the audience is the general public who does not understand this. That said, I don’t think his “jokes” were appropriate and your statement about his need to rely on sexism is so true. It is a problem among older comedians, especially men comics, and I think that addressing this is a good way to continue the move away from casual sexism in society.