Cake Batter Frappuccino

Last week Starbucks was celebrating the 20th anniversary of perhaps their most prestigious, well known and ordered drink – Frappuccino’s. Frappuccino’s were launched when Starbucks first open their doors in 1971, and since then have been a sensation. As part of the “celebration” Starbucks added to their menu a limited edition Birthday Cake Frappuccino, which was only available for the “birthday” week (from March 23– March 30). The Starbucks Birthday Cake Frappuccino was a total hit due to its extremely delicious cake batter flavor and its unique looking pink whipped cream. In fact, the Birthday Cake Frappuccino was such a hit, that I found it hard to believe Starbucks did not leave the beverage permanently in the menu in order to increase their revenue. I mean, who wouldn’t like to drink a cake flavored drink with pink frosting every now and then?

The fact that Starbucks did not decide to leave the item in the menu, and the fact that I (clearly) love coffee got me thinking and decided to do some research on whether or not it is possible to still purchase the Birthday Cake Frappuccino. Fortunately, the Secret Menu does provide a recipe that claims to create a Cake Batter Frappuccino. However, currently, it is impossible to order such since the recipe involves ordering a Vanilla Been Frappuccino and adding one and a half pumps of Hazelnut Syrup (for a Grande, two for a venti), which is one of the seasonal ingredients. In other words, if you wished to order the Cake Batter Frappuccino – the supposed alternative of the Birthday Cake Frappuccino – you would have to wait until the fall in order to get your hands on the Hazelnut Syrup and complete your order. Ordering the Cake Batter Frappuccino though, will not guarantee you the pink frosting that the limited edition Birthday Cake Frappuccino came with.

Nevertheless, the Starbucks Secret Menu Website offers an alternative in order to purchase a Birthday Cake Frappuccino. According to the website certain Starbucks Stores, will let you purchase a birthday cake flavored cake pop (the pink one displayed at the pastry section) and blend it into your Vanilla Bean Frappuccino. The logic behind this recipe lies within the idea of blending your food (like someone who could have chewing or jaw problems) in order to create a birthday cake flavor when mixed with the Vanilla Bean Frappuccino. Personally, I would rather wait until the fall and create my own Cake Batter Frappuccino by adding a couple of pumps of Hazelnut into my drink, but if you ever feel adventurous or some urge to order a Birthday Cake Frappuccino this could always be an alternative. It is important to note, however, that only certain Starbucks locations are willing to blend in cake pops, or any pastry for the matter, with your beverage so remember to ask the cashier if that specific location provides that alternative in order to avoid a $1.99 charge per cake pop ordered.

Work Cited:

Starbucks Secret Menu. “The Cake Batter Frappuccino.” Np. Nd. www.starbuckssecretmenu.net. March 8, 2015.