Hello everyone and welcome back! I hope everyone is having an absolutely fantastic week. I am very excited about this weeks topic. Grazia calls it “the uniform of geography teachers and grandads.” This week I am talking about sweater vests! Now, of course, your weekly history lesson. Around 1907, the Michigan football team was gifted sweaters as part of their uniforms. Someone randomly had the idea to chop off the sleeves, and that was how the design was made. After this, both President Woodrow Wilson and President Herbert Hoover wore sweater vests making it popular in men’s fashion. Eleanor Roosevelt is credited with popularizing the trend for women. The colorful and fun sweater vests became popular in the 1980s. The trend became most popular for women around the 1990s and early 2000s, which pop culture had a lot to do with this trend taking off during this time period.

With sweater vests being a staple in school uniforms, people wanted to avoid them, so the trend died down. However, recently the trend has exploded. Many people think the comeback of this is due to sweater vests being very popular in K-Pop. Many fashion trends are based off what the current K-Pop fashion trends are. Now, sweater vests are one of the biggest current trends.

Many fashion brands have already jumped on this trend. Many large and well-known brands such as Gucci, and Prada have been selling sweater vests. Many stores are even completely selling out of their sweater vests because it is such a popular trend nowadays.

One reason why some people stay away from this trend is because people don’t really know how to style it. Luckily, a lot of people on TikTok have been giving advice on how to wear sweater vests. Many other sources have been giving advice on how to style these. For a preppy look, they say to wear a tennis skirt and wear white sneakers. They also say that bright colors are encouraged during the spring and summer time, but when it comes to autumn and winter, neutral colors are more encouraged. Accessories are also very popular to wear with sweater vests. I am not really sure why accessories are more popular when worn with sweater vests, but I’ll go with it because what do I know?

I honestly really love this trend! I have no sweater vests, but I think having one would be fun. I’m honestly not sure if I would be able to pull it off, but I guess I could always try and see. I really like the colorful sweater vests, so I think I would stay away from the plain colored ones. Either way, I really want to get a sweater vest and see how I like it, and I really think you should try it too.