My FYE: Public Speaking

Stage-fright

The thing I didn’t understand at first about public speaking is how you need to TALK in front of an audience, not READ. When I was assigned my first speech for CASS, I thought to myself, “I got this, I’m a great public speaker.” Not the case. What I didn’t realize is how scary, difficult, and tedious it is informing, educating, and sharing your ideas with an audience from almost the top of your head.

It is so challenging to become so familiar with material to the point where you can recite it extemporaneously, which means you have prepared and practiced reciting your speech, but it is not fully memorized. Another struggle I found in presenting speeches is how challenging it is to avoid using word fillers that “like” totally “like” ruin your “like” credibility as a “uh” speaker and make you ”like” seem like an “um” uneducated “like” dummie.

Another obstacle I face with public speaking is STAGE FRIGHT, I practice millions of times in my room in front of the mirror and know my material cold and seem like I know what I’m talking about, but when I get in front of people, its like the apocalypse. I will admit, my stage fright has gotten a little better from doing numerous speeches and will continue to wear off, but man, it is really scary standing in front of all those people. Its like you open your mouth to talk and your entire mind runs blank.

With all these obstacles faced in public speaking, I realized that everyone faces these obstacles, not just me. When I think how everyone gets nervous and everyone is going to mess up or stutter during their speech, it makes me feel better and more at ease. Teachers used to tell me to imagine people in their underwear, which definitely does not work. In fact, it makes speaking even scarier. From facing these challenges, I am able to overcome them and cope with them so that by the end of the semester I will personally be an improved public speaker.

6 thoughts on “My FYE: Public Speaking

1. If you are going for finest contents like I do, just pay a quick visit this web page daily
    since it presents quality contents, thanks

2. You have mentioned very interesting points! ps decent internet site. “Choose your friends carefully. Your enemies will choose you.” by Yassir Arafat.

3. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

4. obviously like your web site however you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth however I’ll definitely come again again.

5. Pingback: emergency plumber