Passion Blog #3: TAX THE RICH – Insight On One of the Most Controversial Gowns in Modern History

This week we are going to dive into the world of Hollywood, which is one of the most powerful realms in the nation. If you have any association with social media and celebrities, I am sure that you heard of the MET Gala that took place on Monday, September 13, 2021. This is a gala exclusively for celebrities, which is held to raise money for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. Each year the gala selects a theme and celebrities are encouraged to dress in accordance with that theme. This year, there was one specific outfit worn in honor of the “American Independence” theme that stirred the pot of controversy, and it will be the focus of this discussion. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wore a mermaid-style white gown to the gala, which seemed very plain for the event. However, when she turned around you could notice the red letters reading “TAX THE RICH” painted on her back.

First, let’s discuss some details about the model of the viral dress. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes, better known as AOC, is an American congresswoman who is known for her Democratic views. She is very passionate about her views on the importance of the working class of America, as well as other topics regarding minority groups. She strives to create a change, primarily striving against the superiority of white men in the United States government. You also may know her for being a very close supporter of Bernie Sanders during his presidential campaign. When it comes to AOC, most people love or hate her. However, she is very vocal about her opinions and takes initiative when it comes to what she believes is right.

Now let’s discuss what we’re all here for: the dress. As shown below, the dress is very bold and straight to the point. The reason that so many people made negative comments on her dress was because of how contradictory it is. People questioned the fact that she wore a dress with such a statement while partying alongside many millionaires, even some billionaires. Although she is a spokeswoman for equality throughout the social classes, it was simply hypocritical to some people that she would wear that dress. Others stated that if she really felt so strongly about the upper class and imposing taxes on them, then maybe she would’ve sat out from the event instead of contributing to it.

There are many ways to go about this topic. Technically speaking, the dress was a perfect execution of the theme of the gala: American Independence. There is nothing that screams America more than the outright exposure of a major economic issue and lack of accountability that the country has faced for decades. Although some judged AOC, who else was really going to step foot in an event full of rich people and non-verbally call them out? Ultimately, I believe that there wasn’t a better outfit that AOC could have worn, considering her platform and role in society. The statement she made with her dress was to achieve this exactly, to get people talking. When people are reminded of the issues that are happening in the nation, they are more driven to strive for change. Therefore, there couldn’t have been a better setting, model, and execution for this iconic dress.

3 thoughts on “Passion Blog #3: TAX THE RICH – Insight On One of the Most Controversial Gowns in Modern History

1. Hi Michelle! Great analysis of the dress that AOC wore. I agree that it was perfect for this event, but I liked how you examined both sides of the controversy anyway. Amazing job!

2. I love that you chose this dress to discuss this week! I did not know she attended the event, and I can see how many would view it as hypocritical that she was in attendance. I do agree that it was a perfect execution of the theme (especially compared to other people’s outfits) and seemed to fit her personality and ideals perfectly.

3. I really enjoyed this analysis Michelle! I love looking at all the celebrities outfits on the night of the MET Gala and AOC’s definitely stood out. I liked that you explained both sides of peoples opinions and I agree that she couldn’t have worn this dress to a better event, especially when the theme is American Independence lol. She got her message across perfectly.