Passion Blog #7: Colombia’s Calm Line

This week we will be discussing some news of a distant nation, Colombia. While this country is far geographically, it is actually very close to my heart. I am Colombian, and my family immigrated from Colombia to the United States in the late 1990s. My mom, specifically, came when she was 15 years old and lived in Atlantic City, NJ. There, she graduated from Atlantic City High School and went to college, so she is a major role model in my life because of her perseverance and dedication.

The topic I will be diving into today is a new system that has been put into place in Bogota, Colombia’s capital city. The system consists of a hotline where men over the age of 18 can call a hotline, the Calm Line, and they speak to a team of psychologists. Men can call if they are experiencing various types of emotional problems, such as family or relationship issues, financial hardships, anger management, and more.  Another major focus of the hotline is the effort to combat domestic violence and verbal violence within relationships.

According to data presented in the New York Times, a woman in Colombia is sexually assaulted every 34 minutes. Additionally, women are less likely to seek help, such as calling the police, because of multiple reasons. In the United States, there are many efforts made by local governments to protect victims of domestic violence when cases are reported. Victims can seek temporary restraining orders and there are better ways to protect themselves than there are in Colombia. The policing system in Colombia is very corrupt, and sometimes officers would prefer to stand clear of harm out of fear that a perpetrator may harm them. This causes unease in the country, especially in lower-income areas or communities controlled by drug traffickers. Also, because there is so much drug and gun activity throughout the country, a person may fear for their life if they were to tell on their abuser.

As a result of these factors, the government put into place The Calm Line. The hotline is available at certain hours from Monday to Saturday, and the services will be available free of charge. The team of psychologists will help men who are seeking help by discussing their concerns with them, guiding them for the future, and giving them different coping mechanisms to assist them with their troubles. Also, the therapists will be following up with the men who have called to see what effects the hotline had on them and/or if they need any further care.

There are many hotlines like The Calm Line in the United States. The American Psychological Association has a list outlining the numbers available for all types of concerns. These hotlines are typically free of charge and available 24/7. They are also available all throughout the nation, in comparison to the Calm Line that is only available in Bogota as of right now. What are your thoughts on this hotline? Do you think it is actually going to combat the issue of domestic violence and sexual assault in Colombia, or is it too vague of an approach?

3 thoughts on “Passion Blog #7: Colombia’s Calm Line

1. Hi Michelle! I love your explanation of this topic, especially as October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. I think The Calm Line is a great idea, as men’s mental health is often ignored. Hopefully, this hotline will prevent some men and that, along with the line, other policies and work can be done worldwide to better protect victims and prevent sexual violence.

2. Great blog post, Michelle!! I think the Calm Line is a very good idea because society, at least here in the US, tends to overlook men’s mental health. It also steers the focus of domestic violence into focusing on how possibly helping men before they commit an act of violence may be more effective than dealing with the aftermath of assault.

3. Amazing blog post Michelle! The Calm Line is an amazing resource and I believe it is a step in the right direction towards change. For victims to have that access to it without cost or fear of exposure or judgment is a big deal and something I am sure they appreciate. The US has similar systems implemented as you mentioned and I known individuals who both utilized and worked for similar systems and they too are grateful for such an important resource.