The Experiment so Infamous it Became a Movie

Image result for stanford prison experiment"

Most social phycology experiments are hardly news. They are rarely reported on in mainstream news and the majority of the population does not know when, or how they are conducted. So what went wrong in the Stanford Prison experiment to warrant the study having a movie made about it? After a report from American prison guards talked about abuse towards inmates, Professor Zimbardo, a phycology professor at Stanford, wanted to uncover wether the brutality from guards were due to sadistic personalities or rather a result of the prison environment. In order to test this, he transformed a Stanford campus basement into a mock prison, and put out an application for students to participate. 75 applicants applied and were eliminated if they had phycological problems, a criminal record or just did not seem mature enough. Of the 75, 24 men were selected to be a part of the study. They were paid $15 a day and were randomly assigned to be either an inmate or a guard in the mock prison. The parameters of the study was to simply treat the mock inmates like real inmates. The guards stripped inmates naked, confiscated their personal possessions, and assigned each inmate a uniform and a number. Guards and inmates were not allowed to refer to each other by name because Professor Zimbardo reckoned that personal relationships between inmates would ruin the results. The guards worked 8 hour shifts and were instructed to do whatever they thought was necessary to maintain order among inmates short of physical violence. Professor Zimbardo served as the prison warden so he observe the students. Soon after the inmates were booked, they began to adopt the behavior of real life inmates. They did things such as talking about prison, telling on each other to the guards and accepting orders without question. Similarly, the guards to also began to change their behavior towards the inmates. By the second day of the experiment, guards became overly aggressive and started to attempt to dehumanize the prisoners by making them do pushups, giving them meaningless tasks and withholding food and bathing privileges. Inmates eventually had enough of this treatment and attempted to rebel by escaping the prison, only to be stopped by guards and punished with solitary confinement. A few of the inmates broke down in solitary confinement and began to cry, screw and demanded to be let out of the experiment, but were told by their fellow inmates after being let out of solitary that they couldn’t quit, otherwise they would be a bad prisoner. After more and more inmates began to have mental episodes, Professor Zimbardo decided to put an end to it. The experiment was meant to last 2 weeks, but it was shut down after 6 days. The Stanford Prison experiment has been condemned by a plethora of researchers in the field of phycology for breaching ethical codes, and to this day remains the poster child of experiments that went to far. A movie was made about this experiment in 2015, and that movie is the reason I know about the Stanford Prison experiment at all. In conclusion, the experiment serves as a lesson to those looking to create phycological studies to follow ethical codes, protect participants and know when an experiment has gone too far. If all of those steps are followed, an experiment will produce meaningful findings instead of a movie.

L’appel du vide

Image result for call of the void

Have you ever been standing on a high place and thought, “I could jump right now.”, or have been driving and thought, “What would happen if I swerved into the other lane?” It may sound contradictory, but this feeling is  not necessarily a suicidal thought, but rather a phycological phenomenon that roughly 50% of people feel throughout their life simply reaffirming their will to live. The French have a name for this phenomenon, L’appel du vide, or The Call of the Void, and it describes having a strong sudden urge to do something incredibly self destructive, but then quickly dismissing it. People often interpret the feeling as a suicidal one, and some will think that experiencing The Call of the Void is a message to hurt oneself from their self conscious, but in actuality, experiencing this is your brain reminding you that you want to live. April Smith, a phycology professor at the University of Miami, explained the Call of the Void as a “miscommunication in the brain” because the brain thinking about the ways one could hurt themself is its way of assessing danger, although this seeming paradoxical. Using me as an example, when I was 16 I went to New York with my family and as most tourists do, we decided to visit the Empire State Building. When we were at the top of the building, I was overlooking the New York skyline and suddenly wanted to go overtop the metal bars and just fall. Obviously since I’m telling this story, I did not go through with it and that was my brain’s weird way of reminding me of danger and reaffirming my desire to live. Thinking of falling off of the Empire State Building was my brain recognizing danger, and having the urge to jump was my brain testing me. Since I did not jump, I confirmed back to my brain that I still want to live. The Call of Void can be an uncomfortable feeling at times, and for the other 50% of people who haven’t experienced the phenomenon, this blog probably sounds crazy, but it’s reassuring to be reminded how valuable life is regardless how bizarre your brain’s methods.

Passion Blog Topic Ideas

Last semester, I did my best to write about astronomy and space, despite me knowing very little about it. I never took astronomy in high school or college, so researching and learning about various astronomy topics well enough to be able to write about them for my blog took quite a bit of time for me. Although astronomy is inherently interesting to me, I felt I never truly did the subject matter justice with my lack of experience dealing with it. Because of this, I plan to pursue psychology topics for my passion blog this semester as I have more experience with psychology but still find it as interesting as astronomy. Some topics I plan to write about would be the phenomenon known as the “Call of the Void”, how our brains can create false memories and what happened during the Stanford Prison experiment  and how it created The Lucifer Effect. All of these topics absolutely  fascinate me and I look forward to explaining them to others via my blog so people can make their own assertions about them.