HOPC Project Outline

My group’s HOPC project is about why people at or below the poverty line are disproportionally obese and have poorer diets overall. Our project poses 5 framing questions, and we believe the answers to these questions explain how the problem manifested in the first place. I am primarily in charge of creating and editing the video, but I am also tasked with answering our third framing question, which is : Are food stamps enough to incorporate healthier food plans for those in the lower class? I have been using articles from the Washington Post and pulling graphs from the USDA website to see if the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is adequately providing families on food stamps enough money to purchase fresh, quality nutritional foods. The short answer is no, they are not. After viewing a graph on the USDA’s thrifty food plan, which states that each individual should be spending no more than $40 on food per week, and comparing that to the average amount that SNAP pays to individuals per month, which is $131, it is clear that the average benefits do not meet even the USDA’s lowest estimate on what people need to spend on food per week. Because of this, people on SNAP are often forced to buy cheap, high calorie food. Challenges I anticipate with this project are editing the video, as this process is tedious and time consuming. I’ve actually been watching youtube tutorials in order to polish up on my video making skills. (I took intro to filmmaking in high school) Overall, I think this topic is very interesting and very broad. One aspect I think we might have to cut out is how this disproportionally affects minorities, due to grocery stores usually being outside of cities, while convenience stores, which rarely have vegetables or fresh meat, are prevalent in lower income portions of cities.