For our purposes, small molecules are intermediates and products of chemical synthesis (excluding polymers).
All small molecule analyses performed at the Facility are high-resolution, accurate mass.
Samples can be submitted in either dry form or as solutions. The sample amount must be indicated (weight or volume and concentration); 0.2 – 0.5 mL of a micromolar range solution is enough.
When submitting samples, provide the following information:
- Your name and email address
- Your PI’s name and email address
- Preferred budget number for this analysis (must be in iLab)
- Sample labels. You can use your initials and a number, e.g. synthesis step or notebook page number. Meaningful labels make it easier to find your file. Make sure you label your vials!
- Solvent (if in solution) and solubility. I use methanol as the mobile phase for the flow-injection analysis; make a note if your compound is not soluble in methanol at micromolar concentrations.
- Chemical structure, hand drawn or generated in ChemDraw (needed to select instrument parameters for analysis).
- Elemental composition (needed to calculate exact mass).
- Any other information about your sample that you think I should have.
You can print out or hand-write this information or fill out the Facility form.
Bring your samples and the accompanying information to Althouse, room 3 (basement). You do not need to make an appointment, but if I am away from the lab, let me know when and where you left your samples.
If you are sending samples from one of Penn State campuses, please email me in advance: my mail is delivered to a mailroom outside of Althouse, and I don’t check it daily.