Reflection

This is my first time to experience the whole process of making a website. Whether it was making use of HTML and CSS or using WordPress to create a website, it was a new experiment for me. I think the most important challenge for a beginner is to know how to translate the specific language of the computer editor into the pages of the website. This process is difficult because beginners need to spend a lot of time learning the language of HTML and CSS, which is like learning a new foreign language for them.

Creating a website in WordPress will be much easier than using HTML and CSS. For example, the layout of images and text; in WordPress, we only need to move the text and images and edit their size to adjust the format of the page. In HTML and CSS, we need to write a specific computer language to determine the position of images and their spacing from each other. HTML and CSS can add a lot of details to the elements; for example, the borders of the images. This is not possible with WordPress. For example, HTML and CSS can replace links with icons, while WordPress can only replace links with text.

When I wanted to create some gaps between images and center them, I found myself not knowing how to achieve them by writing HTML and CSS. I tried a lot of different programming languages but nothing worked, there was no space between the images and the layout was not centered. WordPress has not been a challenge for me so far and everything is going well.

Learning and developing websites in both formats requires 1) familiarity with the HTML and CSS programming languages and knowledge of how to change various elements of a web page through specific languages 2) knowledge of how to respond to unexpected and unplanned web page situations by changing CSS and HTML; for example, typographical errors in different sections of a web page. 3) the ability to use WordPress’ various features to create the web pages you want.

I think I also need to learn how to change the color, layout and typography of a web page in CSS and HTML. I am not very good at using computer language to control the layout of a website. I also need to learn more elements in CSS so that I can improve the aesthetics and artistry of my web pages.

A direct link to my alternate website: https://minwu859.github.io/Mindy-Wu/