Why Pittsburgh?

Many people ask me why I like Pittsburgh so much when I’m from Baltimore, and I always respond by saying, “my dad is from Pittsburgh.” We visit Pittsburgh several times a year, always making sure to spend time with family while on our travels. But there’s one thing that is just as constant as visiting our family, and that’s going to games. It doesn’t matter whether we’re watching the Steelers at Heinz Field, the Pirates at PNC Park, or the Penguins at PPG Paints Arena, my father and I always make sure to plan our trips around one of the three teams.

My dad has been going to games for years, traveling all across the U.S. My dad, grandfather and uncle are always telling stories about road trips to Cleveland to watch the Steelers play the Browns, or trips to Washington D.C. to watch the Penguins play the Capitals. It wasn’t until four years ago when my dad finally took me to my first Ravens vs. Steelers games. The Ravens and Steelers have a history of loathsome hate towards one another, and it is especially evident in the fan bases. Games in Baltimore have a reputation for being quite rough and vulgar, which was probable cause for my dad not taking me to my first game until I was in high school and ready for the experience. Since then I’ve been to every game in Baltimore that hosted the Steelers, and I’ve loved every minute.

Another trip my father and I go on is one to Washington D.C. to watch the Penguins play the Capitals. Since the Capitals moved out of their old arena and into the Capital One Arena, games have declined in hateful passion, inclining my father to be willing to take me to games. Personally, I prefer attending hockey games more than football games purely due to the high speeds, intensity, and anticipation of a goal. However, any sporting event these days is expensive and I focus on being grateful that my father even considers taking me.

Being a Pittsburgh fan born and raised in Baltimore, I have had my fair share of screaming matches, heated debates, and near physical altercations. But such things have opened my eyes to the pleasure of standing out. I love wearing gold in a see of purple or red. I love walking through the corridors and up the stairs to my seats as people scowl and shout obscenities at me. Where my father and I lack in numbers, we make up in spirit, and that is something that we pride ourselves on as supporters of the Steel City, living in an unfriendly environment. Such circumstances help form bonds when meeting other undercover Pittsburgh supporters. Any Pittsburgh fan understands the connection you have when meeting a fellow Steelers fan in Cincinnati, or a Penguins fan in Philadelphia. We can carry on conversations for hours, and develop friendships that last a lifetime. That is what being a Pittsburgh fan is all about.

Author: Dan

I am currently a rising senior at Penn State University. Throughout undergrad, I have dedicated myself to a major in economics, which I have supported with a business minor and a 3.2 GPA. This summer I worked as an intern at a financial institution called Mariner Finance. I hope that I can use this experience and the skills I've acquired from undergrad to obtain a job in finance. My role as a student and professional has been shaped by the leadership experiences I have had. These experiences include working as a pool manager and serving as Vice President of my fraternity. I am hopeful to continue my journey as a professional in either Pittsburgh or Columbus, where I can obtain my MBA and succeed in a fruitful career.