The Frenchy

Though I might seem redundant to my readers, as I spit out Pittsburgh sports facts and trivia in all of my blogs, but I can’t step away from that path just yet. Another Pittsburgh sports icon that has tragically left the team but will forever remain in the hearts of Pittsburghers: Marc-andre Fleury. To his true home base, he is known by his last name in French, which translates to, “the flower”.

Image result for marc-andre fleury

The southpaw goaltender was drafted in the first round by the Penguins in 2003, and played fourteen sensational seasons with the Penguins, including three Stanley Cups in four Cup Final appearances. The Flower led the Penguins to the Cup Final in 2008, though it resulted in a very heart-shattering Game 7 loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Nobody takes a loss more personally and to heart than Marc-Andre Fleury. The following season, Flower led his team back to the Cup Finals, where they would, again, meet the Red Wings. However, this time Fleury was able to lift his Penguins over the nemesis Red Wings, and earn his team their first Stanley Cup since 1994.

Image result for marc-andre fleury wins cup

The Penguins have ranked at either the top or near the top of their conference in every year since the 2008 season, which can be much credited to the shutdown play of Fleury. Despite injury and the NHL lock out, Fleury compiled six thirty-plus win seasons with the Penguins. The two-time allstar struggled with some psychological issues resulting in big playoff losses in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, and was even benched for most of the 2012-2013 playoffs.

Image result for marc-andre fleury

The Penguins have surfaced in the media lately as a possible contender for the “three-peat”. Fleury led the Penguins to a second place regular season finish in 2016, but got hurt right before the season ended, causing rookie Matt Murray to take the reigns, and eventually help his team win a third Stanley Cup. In 2017, Fleury split the season in net with Matt Murray. However, Murray got injured in warmups before Game 1 of their first playoff matchup, leading Fleury to lead his team to another Stanley Cup Final, and another Stanley Cup.

Though the Penguins have won the last two Stanley Cups, they’re going to have to finish this year without the help of Fleury. Unfortunately, the French Canadian netminder was traded to the Las Vegas Golden Nights, where he is currently excelling as one of the leagues best goalies on one of the leagues best teams. I think the loss of Fleury is one of the most heartbreaking moments in Pittsburgh sports history. The Flower was always fooling around, playing pranks, messing with his teammates, dancing during warmups, but perhaps what he’ll be remembered for most is his interaction with fans. He was extremely nice, generous, and outgoing towards the people of Pittsburgh, who have created a home for him over the past seventeen years.

Image result for marc-andre fleury

The action of Marc-Andre Fleury will never be forgotten in Pittsburgh. Sixteen winning seasons, twelve consecutive playoff appearances, four Stanley Cup Final appearances, three Stanley Cups, and a lot of great memories. Marc-Andre Fleury is so much more than a goalie to the Pittsburgh faithful.

Image result for marc-andre fleury pittsburgh

Author: Dan

I am currently a rising senior at Penn State University. Throughout undergrad, I have dedicated myself to a major in economics, which I have supported with a business minor and a 3.2 GPA. This summer I worked as an intern at a financial institution called Mariner Finance. I hope that I can use this experience and the skills I've acquired from undergrad to obtain a job in finance. My role as a student and professional has been shaped by the leadership experiences I have had. These experiences include working as a pool manager and serving as Vice President of my fraternity. I am hopeful to continue my journey as a professional in either Pittsburgh or Columbus, where I can obtain my MBA and succeed in a fruitful career.