“The Miracle on Ice”

The Legendary U.S. hockey coach, Herb Brooks, once said, “Great moments are born from great opportunity.” Perhaps one of the most famous quotes in sports history, it was what inspired the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team to beat the untouchable Russians. It just so happened that these Olympic games took place during a very crucial time in the Communist movement, a time where the U.S. was in dire need of a moral booster.
Herb Brooks’ famous quote is kaorotic in nature. Some very important elements of Kairos include the concept of seizing the moment and taking advantage of an opportunity when presented, and taking such opportunities and using them to move forward. Through his speech, Coach Brooks tells his team, a very young and inexperienced group of kids, that now is their chance to finally beat team Russia and turn around national pride. Many people thought that nothing would be a better retort to Communist Russia than to defeat their pride and joy: the Russian hockey team. The United States did just that, and in just one game, known as, “the miracle on ice,” a nation was united during a time of turmoil and fear. A group of kids did the impossible and propelled national patriotism when their country needed it most.
I think that this quote from Coach Brooks’ speech can apply to things other than hockey; it can be used to enlighten and inspire young Americans, especially Olympians, to branch out and accomplish the impossible. I believe that many Americans are indeed afraid of pursing difficult challenges. If people realize that, “great moments are born from great opportunity,” then they can truly accomplish anything. A simple quote inspired kids to be great in 1980, and it can have the same effect in 2017 moving forward.

Author: Dan

I am currently a rising senior at Penn State University. Throughout undergrad, I have dedicated myself to a major in economics, which I have supported with a business minor and a 3.2 GPA. This summer I worked as an intern at a financial institution called Mariner Finance. I hope that I can use this experience and the skills I've acquired from undergrad to obtain a job in finance. My role as a student and professional has been shaped by the leadership experiences I have had. These experiences include working as a pool manager and serving as Vice President of my fraternity. I am hopeful to continue my journey as a professional in either Pittsburgh or Columbus, where I can obtain my MBA and succeed in a fruitful career.

One thought on ““The Miracle on Ice””

1. Brooks definitely utilized kairos in his quote – he inspired his audience (the US olympic hockey team) to win a victory greater than themselves. In the midst of the cold war, when many Americans were discouraged by the influence of the communist Soviet Union, an olympic defeat would prove motivational. This was a critical moment in American history which was thus kairotic.