Learning Design Summer Camp 2009

Disruptive tech – I think eye contact is still important in f2f – perhaps the lecture model is what is becoming antiquated? f2f one on one or in small groups as a way of teaching interpersonal interaction along with smart use of disruptive tech? Here’s the key and Cole answered it: faculty no longer have sole control over the classroom, the learning environment is now a two way street. Also I find by my own participation via social media in this conference I actually stay more engaged. Hard to stay focused on just ppl talking but when I force myself to react and create content I remain engaged.

NCLB has generated students who are good passive, rote learners but have the inability to generate content and be active participants in their learning – important we address this. Very important to spell out the processes and expectations in the classroom to make this transition easier. World Campus does well in current economic environment because it pushes out this easily replicated rote content that does not involve much input from the instructor. This needs to change! Students are paying big bucks and tuition is going up!
Assessment  is an issue!
Cole: administrators are not the problem. A lot of the best new tech adopters are the administrators so they are not the usually the ones standing in the way. Is it status quo?