Living on the Edge: The Amalfi Coast

Visualize the most breathtaking town on Earth. Now keep that image in mind until the end of this blog post. For me, the towns of Positano and Amalfi, along what is known as the Amalfi Coast, are by far the most visually stunning places that I have ever visited. On my visit to Amalfi four years ago, we spent the day driving the coastline and exploring the towns and villages that dot the Amalfi Coast. I also enjoyed my first taste of true Italian pizza.

The sun rising over the Amalfi Coast.

The sun rising over the Amalfi Coast.

Our ship docked in Naples on the morning of our drive along the coast. After loading onto a bus, we departed Naples and headed onto the highway. As we drove, our tour guide for the day passed the time by telling us the history of nearby Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. While I was obviously familiar with the story of Pompeii, I found it interesting to hear some of the recent archaeological discoveries of the site, which is always turning up new secrets of the area’s Roman past.

Eventually we left the highway, and the roads narrowed significantly. We began to climb slightly in elevation, and it was clear that we were heading towards the coast. What I saw next simply stunned me. Rounding a bend in the road revealed not only the glistening Tyrrhenian Sea below, but also the hillside town of Positano ahead. Positano is completely built upon the hillside and terraces down to the sea below. Beyond the engineering questions that came to my head, I wondered how difficult it must be to get around in the town. Everything required using long, narrow stairways. Going anywhere was bound to be a hike.

Positano

Positano

Passing through Positano, we continued along the coast until we reached the namesake of the entire area: Amalfi. Amalfi is much flatter than Positano but is nonetheless still built along the hillside. Here, we exited the bus. After looking at the boats docked offshore, we then walked the streets of Amalfi, popping in and out of various stores. Regardless of where I’ve been, my favorite part is always when you have time to walk around on your own for a while. Hearing the foreign tongue of passersby, looking into shop windows, and smelling the scents of the town: that’s when you feel fully immersed into a culture.

Amalfi

Amalfi

Walking the streets of Amalfi revealed various shops and stands, including this fruit stand.

Walking the streets of Amalfi revealed various shops and stands, including this fresh fruit stand.

Speaking of scents, whilst perusing the various shops of Amalfi, I was enticed by the scent of pizza coming from one shop. I was able to enjoy a REAL Italian pizza, made the way it is supposed to be made. The pizza was very tasty. The major differences between Neapolitan (pizza was invented in Naples) and New York-style pizza, for example, were that the crust and sauce were much thinner. Biting into it, I could tell that the ingredients were much fresher than what we have Stateside. The tomatoes atop the pizza were very fresh and juicy. I also burned my tongue. I guess some things never change.

Real, fresh Italian pizza

Real, fresh Italian pizza

It’s said that a picture speaks a thousand words, but the beauty of the Amalfi Coast leaves you speechless. The hillside towns stretching down to the lapping coastline below still frequent my dreams. I hope to someday return to the Amalfi coast and maybe spend a week or two living in one of the towns. So the question is, has the picture in your mind of the most breath-taking place on Earth changed?

The beauty of the Amalfi Coast is unparalleled.

Next Week: Stockholm

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Living on the Edge: The Amalfi Coast

1. Jaclyn Yuro says:

Pretty sure I comment this on all of your posts, but I am so jealous! I was able to go to northern Italy last year, but I hope that in the near future I will be able to go back and explore the south! I cannot wait to visit the Amafi Coast someday and see the beautiful scenery for myself! You’re pictures are awesome though!

2. You really bring this coast to life! I’ve been to Italy, but didn’t make it to the Amalfi Coast…now I want to go:-)

3. Meredith says:

My sister was just in Italy for her Spring break, and although she didn’t make it down to the Amalfi Coast, this post reminds me of some of the beautiful things she got to see around Florence. Your post makes me want to head there right now, and you have some awesome pictures that really show off its beauty. I hope you get there again!

4. Daniel Hizgilov says:

I’m going to be in Florence for 6 weeks this summer and will try to spend my weekends exploring the Italian countryside and coasts. Naples will definitely be a destination as I’ve heard from many people that it’s a beautiful place. And… Pizza is terrible outside of the New York area so I can’t wait to get a taste of authentic Italian pizza which is supposed to be very different.

5. John Ponnett says:

The Amalfi Coast is another part of Italy I was never able to visit, but it truly is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I, too, enjoy just being able to soak in the atmosphere of a foreign country on my own. It truly gives you perspective about what every day is like there.