Week 5: A Wiser Woman

So I took on the college fashion world, and lived to tell the tale.

I hung up my yoga pants and donned the jeans, retired the Nike’s and strutted in sandals and sacrificed a few extra minutes of sleep to prepare the perfect, fresh-faced look.

But now, as I sit here in sweatpants in the comfort of my dorm, I am forced to ask myself two pressing questions: Was this experience worth it? Would I do it again?

The answer to both is absolutely.

Going into this experience, I was admittedly skeptical. I had always been comfortable with myself and my look because that was the environment I grew up in: one where girls were content to look like they just rolled out of bed, with hair that had not been brushed in days or ragged, old sweaters. When I got to college, I noticed the time and attention other girls put into their appearance. I was excited to try and mirror their composed, pretty looks, but I did not believe trying new looks for a few days was going to have a major effect on me.

I was wrong.

Through this experience, I have gotten a taste of what it means to be a woman today. The pressure to be perfect; the expectations to look flawless; the delicate balance between being assertive and demure; the obligation to appear composed, even if my life is scattered in shambles around me.

In all honesty, accepting the burden of expectations that comes with being a poised woman was a daunting challenge. While there were many standards that I felt were unreasonable for women to meet, embracing all of the caveats and pressures that come with being a woman was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Yes, I experimented with my style and gained some new make-up skills (thanks YouTube tutorials), accomplishing what I initially set out to do. But in reality, I learned so much more; for me, this experience expanded far beyond the superficial notion of surface appearance.

I learned to walk confidently with my head held high because women who believe in themselves garner the respect and belief of others. Some days, it’s okay to look and feel like I am falling apart, but only if I promise to pull myself together for a better tomorrow. I recognized that those who judge how I look don’t matter, and those who do matter won’t ever let me down.

Most importantly, I recognized the significance of supporting other women.  At an all-girls high school, I was always taught that women rule the world, so to see the difficulties and judgement women face in the real world was disheartening. But we are stronger than those who hold us back, and together women can overcome any obstacle.

I still wear my Nikes and sweatpants. Some days I look like I just rolled out of bed, and I still put my hair up into the standard ponytail. Occasionally, a dress or cute sweater will creep into my wardrobe, but these new fashion pieces are not what stand out the most in my post-social experiment personality.

The results lie in the way I carry myself, more confident and comfortable with myself because as a woman I am enough.