The Grand Finale

Today marks the moment that we have all been waiting for. The final reveal of my favorite Rex Orange County song. First, I want to reflect on the past few weeks of analyzing his songs. During this time, I gained a new appreciation for the artistry of his music and was truly able to understand why I love his music so much. I fell more in love with his witty and emotional lyrics. I fell more in love with the jazzy elements that have persisted throughout his entire career. I fell more in love with the small details I used to overlook. I fell more in love with his music than I ever thought I could and developed such a strong connection to the art that he produced. Ultimately, this project ended up to be much more of a “passion” project than I expected, but I’m glad this was the case. Honestly, I do feel some sadness in knowing that this analysis is over, but I am incredibly excited to share my results. In the future, I may consider doing this project with other favorite artists of mine, as it helped me develop a greater appreciation for and familiarity with the songs.

To finish off my analysis of Rex’s discography, I created a bracket with the highest rated songs. This list was composed of the four songs which received ratings of 9/10, as well as my favorites from the songs rates 8/10. I chose 12 songs total and created the bracket, which looks like this.

The first round consisted of the eight 8/10 songs: Waiting Room, 10/10, Always, Know Love, It Gets Better, Happiness, Never Had the Balls, and Keep It Up
The second round consisted of the winners of the first round as well as the four songs rated 9/10: Never Enough, It’s Not the Same Anymore, Television/So Far So Good, and Loving is Easy.
I decided winners simply on initial feelings about the song and pure enjoyment, as I feel like that is the best way to compare songs. These songs also all made it to the bracket because of their high scores in the specific categories I analyzed, so I thought it would be more fun to focus more on vibe than technicalities.
Deciding which songs I liked more was hard at times, but there were some that I chose instinctively. The hardest choice was definitely the final two songs, but I am happy with the choice that I made. Now, for the final reveal.
My favorite Rex song is….
Always!

4 thoughts on “The Grand Finale”

1. It has been so fun reading about your opinions and reviews of different Rex songs! I liked how your post provided a visual of the bracket you created to determine your favorite song, it really elevated your post! I also agree that I decide my favorite song based off of vibes and overall enjoyment of the song versus technicalities.

2. Your blog was so much fun to read each week, and I was so excited to learn that this week would be the finale so I could hear what your favorite Rex song was! It was cool learning about his music and you definitely inspired me to listen to him more. Also, I am glad you did a bracket to show where each of the songs ranks, but I am sure it was hard deciding on where each song should be placed. Overall, great job!

3. What a ride. Feels like I’m finishing a Netflix show or something, and this was the end of the season. Always is a great song and I think it is deserving of the crown. I respect the work you put into these blogs, and they were very fun to read.

4. This was a great way to finish off your passion blog. Your descriptions and opinions on each song were always very entertaining to read every week. I think the visual you added also made this post a lot more entertaining.