Dare to do Dairy

The “Dairy-Free” movement has been gaining popularity in recent years due largely to the emergence of the Paleo diet and knowledge that the United States consumes more dairy than most other countries. People believe that it is somehow unnatural to drink another animal’s milk based on the fact that we are the only organism to do so.  We are also the only organisms to do many health-related activities, such as going to the gym, cooking our food, refrigerating our food, measuring caloric intake, and washing ourselves with soap.  As a passive supporter of the Paleo way of eating, I am aware of a major flaw in the diet: the first humans ate whatever they could find to survive, just like animals.  Perhaps the cavemen did not die of heart disease, because they were killed by in infection or a wild animal first.  Modern technologies and agriculture have given us the ability to utilize more healthful foods like dairy products, out-of-season produce, and frozen goods.  I was drawn to Dr. Gregory Miller’s blog from “The Dairy Report,” because dairy products have been getting a bad reputation lately and I appreciated his presentation of how dairy consumption can be beneficial to our health.

In Dr. Miller’s post, “Is Chronic Inflammation the New Cholesterol?” he outlines a new health concern that may add complexity to the prevention of heart disease.  He stated that “Clinicians are starting to look beyond the traditional risk factors for heart disease like blood cholesterol to markers of chronic inflammation.”  Chronic inflammation is the result of an imbalance of inflammatory signaling molecules and anti-inflammatory signaling molecules in the blood steam (Miller, 2015).  Where does dairy come into play?  Research has demonstrated that dairy consumption contributes to a nutrient-rich, balanced diet which leads to a reduction in chronic inflammation.  Not to say that dairy is the superfood that will cure all cardiovascular risk factors; however, in combination with other healthy choices, dairy can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, prevent type 2 diabetes, and lower blood pressure according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Dr. Gregory Miller’s blog relies more on quality of writing and information than fancy designs and pictures to capture readers’ attention.  This blog is the place to look when readers’ wish to become more educated on a specific topic and need a reliable source.  He only has a few images and a simple layout behind his writings, but it is clear that his knowledge is dependable.  Dr. Miller displays citations throughout his writing and refers to government reports and credible studies to support his assertions.  I admire that this educated man uses a semi-formal tone while still addressing his audience with language that is easy to understand.  This blog is free of errors and has very limited complex medical terminology.  In my own blogging, I hope to provide the same quality of information and have well-known, unbiased references to support my claims.  To draw in more of my peers; however, I would spice up the look of the page and show readers how this knowledge can benefit them personally.

http://www.thedairyreport.com/is-chronic-inflammation-the-new-cholesterol/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Favalonyoga.com%2Fyoga-nutrition-inflammation-fighting-aging-diseases-civilization%2F&ei=ccHTVLLSDIqwsATL6YKoDQ&bvm=bv.85464276,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNHiTz_MT1OiPA2mGFxohT6SrQCh6A&ust=1423250137637551

This entry was posted in Feb 6 Nutr Related Blog and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.