Food, Family and Fun!

When working in the nutrition field, one of the most daunting challenges is determining how to gain the attention of individuals to encourage them to change or improve their habits in order to live healthier lives. This is especially true when working with children. Children are often categorized as being “picky eaters” however, I see children as the foundation of the future and if you can entertain children and provide them with nutrition knowledge early, then it may be possible to help the population become healthier!

While researching different nutrition education materials, I was intrigued when I found the website FoodChamps.org and I actually found it by accident as I was exploring its parent website www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org. The parent site is absolutely amazing. It fulfills all of your fruit and vegetable information needs with scientific articles regarding different components of fruits and vegetables, healthy menus, reference sheets, videos and more! All of the information is clearly labeled and I was in nutrition heaven. Or so I thought. As I explored the website more, I found the hidden gem, FoodChamps.org, within the “Healthy Kids” section of the website. It is here where I was blown away.

FoodChamps.org is now one of my very favorite websites. Geared toward kids, this activity page is bright, colorful and personalized. When visitors first view the website, they are prompted to enter their “screen name”. From there, the children can choose their “food champion” icon to guide them throughout the website. I found this personalized treatment to be a wonderful way to grab the attention of the children viewing the site and was a nice surprise when first navigating to the page. After choosing an icon, a new screen opens that has options for “Artwork”, “Coloring Sheets,” “Recipes,” “Activity Pages,” and “Fun & Games.” The “Fun & Games” option is further separated based upon the age ranges 2-5 and 6-8. The games for both age groups were captivating and educational. They all contained elements that encourage children to identify different fruits and vegetables while learning the nutritional importance of eating those food groups. I thought the games were thought provoking and age appropriate.

One of my other favorite aspects of the website is that it was extremely inclusive for the entire family. It was so interesting how information was clustered throughout the website to ensure that both children and parents work together to create healthy lives. The recipes, although simple and geared towards children, were annotated with the suggestion to get active in the kitchen with either mom or dad. Additionally, the top of each page had an icon for parents to be led back to the parent site where they could learn more information about fruits and vegetables. I think the integration of both children and their parents in nutrition education is key to creating effective programs.

This concept of family fun with food was further emphasized throughout the “Activity Pages.” From a food tracker and shopping planner, to a supermarket scavenger hunt, this website provides all of the tools necessary to keep kids engaged throughout all aspects of nutrition. Under the direction of this website, children can become more involved in food shopping, food preparation, and cooking. This is, in my opinion, a fantastic way to keep all members of the family interested in nutrition.

As a nutrition educator, I would love to encourage people to visit this site. I am a firm believer that people are most likely to commit to an action when they feel empowered. This site empowers both children and parents to play an active role in their nutrition and health. Additionally, I would use this site to show families that nutrition is a fun and exciting topic and that it is easy to take control over one’s health. There is no better time than the present to make healthier choices and this website proves that good nutrition is fun and tangible for all ages.

Interested in learning more? Visit FoodChamps.org or the parent site www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org.

This entry was posted in March 7 Nutr Ed Example and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.