Simple Steps for a Healthy Life

Social marketing campaigns have become global efforts to change the behaviors of individuals in order to reach a more positive outcome that benefits them. These campaigns can be found everywhere, whether it is through commercials, online advertisements, billboards, radio announcements, and so much more. In 2013 North Carolina developed its own social marketing campaign called “Eat Smart, Move More: North Carolina”. Since then, it has become a mass media campaign, aimed at influencing individuals to eat healthier and become more physically active.

This campaign strives to help communities, schools, and businesses make it easy for these changes to happen. By encouraging people to think differently about what they eat and how much they move, this campaign aims to help people make choices that will help them feel good and live better. So how exactly do they do this? “Eat Smart, Move More” focuses on seven target behaviors to reduce obesity and help people live a healthier life:

• I Will Move More!
  • I Will Eat More Fruits & Veggies!
  • I Will Drink More Water!
  • I Will Watch Less TV!
  • I Will Eat Right-Sized Portions!
  • I Will Eat At Home More!
  • I Will Breastfeed My Baby!

Through advertisements such as press releases, TV ads, billboards, print ads, radio ads, and web ads, this campaign is able to emphasize these key behaviors and encourage people to make a change. Not only does this campaign have countless advertisements, but it also reaches out to the public through a very extensive website. www.eatsmartmovemorenc.com has become a well developed website that discusses the campaign, its plan, the key behaviors, data to support their campaign such as research and facts, and even provides a directory of public health professionals in NC. One thing I really like about the website is that it has an area where you can read hundreds of people’s success stories while taking this challenge. This can be very motivational for others to make the changes themselves and one day, post their own story on the site. You can also find a news area that provides information regarding local challenges related to the campaign such as participating in a “Walk to School Day,” the holiday challenge “Maintain, Don’t Gain,” and so much more! Through this extensive website along with the numerous other ways this campaign is advertised, “Eat Smart, Move More” has proven to be very effective and inspire people all over North Carolina to make a change.

In terms of social marketing in general, there are several pros and cons that have to be taken into account. One benefit to social marketing is that it is an easy and effective way to spread information to a wide population. By providing TV ads, online ads, and radio announcements, companies can reach any population desired, even on a global standpoint. Another benefit is that social marketing campaigns can be empowering and motivating to individuals. If advertisements are well developed, individuals are able to evaluate their lifestyle and are more likely to make the behavioral changes the campaign wishes to bring about. On the other hand, social marketing can have its cons as well. For starters, the information presented may not be accurate. In many cases, advertisers tend to include false information in order to make the campaign more appealing. This is misleading to its audience, and can have negative effects if it is revealed that the information provided is not accurate. Overall, I believe social marketing campaigns are effective strategies to reach individuals and encourage them to make a change. “Eat Smart, Move More” has proven to be a very successful campaign, and will continue to motivate people across North Carolina to live a better life.

http://youtu.be/C84icUczuT0

http://www.eatsmartmovemorenc.com/index.html

This entry was posted in March 20 Social Marketing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.