Fun Preschool Nutrition

Young kids are so easy to train. You can train them to be an athlete, superstar, the next best country signer, or you can train them to be healthy. Training preschool kids to eat healthy at a young age will kick start a healthy lifestyle as they get older. Therefore, I found a nutrition curriculum for preschool students. I love little kids, and I truly believe that children are the gateway to a healthier society. I choose the Preschool Nutrition Theme, found at http://www.preschool-plan-it.com/preschool-nutrition.html. This website was developed by Preschool  Plan It.

nutrition-theme

This curriculum can be used in any preschool center to help the children learn about good nutrition. This website gives teachers ideas to introduce the children to fruits and vegetables. For example, they give an idea for the children to make a collage out of healthy food pictures from magazines.

The website also encourages teachers to ask the children what they had for breakfast before school. This can be very helpful. Depending on the answers, the teachers can make adjustments. For example, if most of the children are not eating breakfast before school, the teachers can offer the children a healthy snack upon arrival as well as explain to the parents and children the importance of breakfast. Eating breakfast can then turn into a game or race. The children can fill out a chart saying whether or not they had breakfast and whether or not it was healthy. A reward can be given to the first student to fill his or her chart.

Finally, the website had a great idea for a “field trip.” It is often very hard for teachers to bring young children on field trips, so why not bring the field trip to them. Bringing young children to a grocery store would be a great idea. You can teach them about all the healthy foods that the grocery stores offer, and you can show them where these foods can be found. Bringing the grocery store to preschool children could be very easy as well. The teachers would have to bring in empty cartons and boxes, like healthy cereal and skim milk. They can also bring in fruit and vegetable that can be cut up for snacks later. Then when the kids arrive, they should each get a grocery bag that they can fill with healthy items from the “grocery store”. You can also give the children play money, so they can pay for their own groceries. This will teach the children that healthy eating can be fun and their own decision, no matter how old they are.

I really enjoyed all the great ideas this website provided for preschool teachers. They gave really unique ideas, and all of the ideas had a benefit for the children. This website put a lot of emphasis on the importance of a child’s nutritional status, and I believe that nutrition should start at a young age. The website made nutrition fun as well. This will help the kids better understand nutrition while having some fun. This website is something I will definitely use when I decide to have children of my own.

This entry was posted in March 27 Nutr Curriculum Example and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.