Should I take the GRE?

Should I take the GRE?

I hear this question frequently so thought you might want some information to help you make an informed decision.  This summer might be an excellent time to do a bit of review and take the Graduate Record Exam.  I took at look at programs offering graduate degrees as part of their dietetic internship program, coordinated graduate/dietetic internships, and programs that offer the option of obtaining a MS in addition to the dietetic internship.  Here are the results I found.

Type of program GRE required GRE not required
DI only (no MS option) 16 160
Internship Masters 36 6
Coordinated Masters/DI 11 11
MS option with DI 26 22
Total = 288 89  = 31% 199 = 69%

You could of course limit yourself to applying only to those programs that don’t require the GRE, but that cuts out 31% of your possibilities.  And, occasionally, a great post-match opportunity comes along that requires the GRE.  It is too late then to wish you had taken it.

Many Professional Master’s programs (i.e., MEd, MPH) and Physician Assistant programs require the GRE.  Almost all PhD programs in Nutrition and related sciences require the GRE or MCAT. Applications for these programs are typically due mid fall.

The GRE is not offered at University Park, but many sites are available.  The closest site to University Park is Harrisburg. The GRE exam is typically offered one to three times per month. You can take the exam a maximum of five times in any 12 month period. But, hopefully once will be enough. Many people find the short review courses to be very helpful. kaptest.com,  princetonreview.com and others, offer practice exams and review sessions.  It is estimated that about 100 hours of preparation is required to do your best on the exam.  This web link will provide all the information you need to see which dates and sites are available if you decide to take the GRE.  http://www.ets.org/gre

Best wishes,

Mrs. Eissenstat