Advanced Field Experience in Nutrition (NUTR 495): Samantha Koterwas posts about her summer experience!

This summer I was able to complete an unforgettable nutrition field experience with Wellness Corporate Solutions in Bethesda, Maryland. I was able to find this experience through an email sent by Dr. Coleman-Kelly and after a relaxed phone interview with the company. As an intern, I worked along side their motivated wellness coaches; both registered dietitians and proud Penn State alumni. These coaches work with companies across America to improve mental and physical health by motivating their employees to make lifestyle changes.

In the beautiful city of Bethesda, it certainly didn’t feel as though I was commuting 2 hours to “work”. WCS pushed the limits to change just how stimulating the work setting can be. I was provided with my own sit-stand desk, yoga and meditation breaks, daily walks, and even the “mid-day headstand” to get my mind moving again. It was great to be apart of a company who practices what they preach in every way possible.

During my 300 hours, I was kept busy and given any and every opportunity available. Many of which highlighted my interests in creative writing and fitness outside the realm of nutrition. I authored weekly blog posts, online webinars, newsletter articles, and seminar presentations. I am now able to proudly display these work-samples in my growing nutrition portfolio. I was also able to attend exciting health fairs, overnight biometric screenings, onsite fitness classes, and observe daily coaching calls. These experiences gave me hands on opportunities to interact with clients and develop my formal communication skills.

My favorite aspect of my experience was my preceptor’s willingness to challenge me. She was able to recognize areas I felt less confident, and encouraged me to become more assertive in my expertise as an upcoming nutrition professional. It was certainly bittersweet to complete my final hours as a WCS intern, but I am looking forward to using these experiences in my future nutrition endeavors.

Written by:

Samantha Koterwas

2 responses to “Advanced Field Experience in Nutrition (NUTR 495): Samantha Koterwas posts about her summer experience!

1. Samantha,
    That sounds like a dream experience! I truly hope I can find something similar when I do NUTR 495. It sounds like the kind of practice I would want to be a part of or even start as an RDN.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
    Marquita

2. Brenda Eissenstat

Thanks for sharing Samantha, sounds like a great experience!