NUTR 495 Advanced Field Experience: Emily Roberts posts about her Experience at Smucker Co.

Last summer I had the privilege of working at the J.M. Smucker Company in Regulatory Compliance. This is a vital department within the food industry responsible for adhering to certain laws, regulations, and guidelines set forth by the FDA, USDA and Smucker’s company policy as well.  It was a great opportunity to be able to utilize my knowledge of nutrition in the food industry, an area not many Penn State Nutrition students are able to explore. During my internship I had a mentor who showed me the ropes of working in Regulatory.  As an intern, I was given responsibilities including Nutrition Facts development and label review across various product categories including juices, jams and baking mixes. In support of those activities I was included in various cross-functional meetings where projects status updates were given and key decisions were made. What I most valued about this internship experience was how I was treated as a member of the team, not just an intern. I was also given the chance to meet with several different departments within Smucker’s such as Research & Development, Marketing and Purchasing, just to name a few. My overall experience helped me understand how a food company operates and the essential role Regulatory Compliance plays in the food production process.

Emily Roberts  emr5314@psu.edu
Penn State University | Class of 2015
College of Health and Human Development
Nutritional Sciences | French & Francophone Studies