Central Ohio Diabetes Association is now accepting applications for jobs at Camp Hamwi 2018, a two-week residential summer camp for children who have diabetes. This is a unique summer job opportunity that will give your students a chance to work in a variety of settings relevant to their education.
Each year a multidisciplinary healthcare team operates Camp Hamwi. The team includes registered dietitians, dietetic students, nurses, social workers, physicians, medical students, and counselors. Your students will benefit from working as part of this specialized healthcare team.
As a member of the dietetics-kitchen staff, they can expect to spend 95% of the time working in the kitchen to help prepare and serve meals and snacks. The remainder of the time is spent teaching nutrition education to campers and assisting in night rounds.
The work experience takes place at Camp Hamwi, a diabetes camp hosted by Central Ohio Diabetes Association, that has been in existence for 51 years. Camp Hamwi takes place on the grounds of Camp Mohaven, a beautiful camp facility located in the Danville, Ohio area. Camp Hamwi is held for two weeks each summer for children ages 7 to 17 who have diabetes. The campground includes a beautiful outdoor pool, horse stables, a kitchen with excellent equipment, cabins, etc.
Staff orientation for Camp Hamwi 2018 is mandatory and will be held two days, Friday, July 20 and Saturday, July 21. Camp Hamwi is in session from Sunday July 22 to August 4. Camp officially ends mid-afternoon Saturday August 4. Student staff will receive a weekly stipend of $190, free room and board, plus $50 compensation for attending the mandatory 2-day orientation. The nutrition-dietetics team should plan on arriving Thursday July 19 between 5 pm and 8 pm. Nutrition staff have to be on the grounds and ready for orientation by 9 am Friday July 20. The dates that the campers attend:
- Senior Challenge Week (ages 13-17) July 22– July 28
- Junior Challenge Week (ages 7-12) July 29– August 4
Interested students should 1) complete an online application and 2) gather three completed reference forms with reference letters. The link to the online application process and reference forms can be found on the front page of the Central Ohio Diabetes Association website: http://www.diabetesohio.org (Detailed application instructions are below.)
Deadline for submission of online application is Friday, April 6, 2018, 5pm. Reference forms must be sealed in their own envelopes and signed on the seal by the reference. The reference should also include a letter, handwritten or typed, that speaks to the applicant’s strengths and character. All 3 reference forms should be mailed together in one envelope to the attention of Brenda Rendelman at the address provided below. The completed materials will be reviewed and qualified candidates will be scheduled for interviews after April 6, 2018.
I will be screening all applications, conducting phone interviews, and selecting the FSD, assistant FSD, and dietary staff. If you have any questions about Camp Hamwi, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brenda Rendelman, RDN, CDE
Director of Diabetes Education
Central Ohio Diabetes Association
1100 Dennison Ave
Columbus OH 43201
614-884-4400, ext. 122
Go to CODA home page: www.diabetesohio.org
- Click on “click here” in middle photo (“camp registration is now open” photo)
- Ignore the $10 deposit and the entrance fee and click on the Canoe photo even though it looks it’s for campers
- Then type your email and set up a password
- Complete New Participant info
- Complete Tell us about New participant (i.e. you) info
- Register for New Session
- Under Select Session, click on 2018 Nutrition Staff Applicant
- Click on Continue
- Decline Protection Plan
- Click on Continue
- Ignore Tuition (Note: also ignore “Account”; you don’t pay to work at Hamwi)
- Click on Register
- Complete Questionnaire
- Click on Continue
- Note: You’ll see Deadline but keep in mind that the Nutrition staff deadlines are different. I hope to have the dietetics-kitchen staff hired by May 4. So applications and all three completed references need to be sent to me by April 6.
- Click Next Step
- Complete Participant Information
- Choose Dietetic Student (for position that you desire) unless you are applying for the FSD or assistant FSD positions. If you have team leadership skills, maturity, and can quickly make smart decisions, don’t hesitate to apply for assistant FSD or FSD.
- Select Sessions or Session you are applying for. Note: We need applicants who can work both weeks but will certainly consider excellent applicants who can only work one of the two weeks.
- Complete Employment info, Education info, and Reference info. Note: the education session is long; it seems to me your university info (years of education, area of study, current year in school, etc.) is adequate. If you have Master’s level education, please include that also.
- Download Reference template or Save the template; this is the form your references will complete BUT they also need to include a reference letter—typed or hand-written is fine as long as the letter has substance.
- Click on Next Step
- Answer the questions including the mandatory staff orientation question.
- Then can Log out.