Apply to join the Schreyer Honors College via the Gateway application process. Applicants must have at least one completed semester at the time of application. The application is available starting March 1 of each year, and closes on May 10.
The Gateway entry process is based upon an evaluation of a student’s performance and research potential. The evaluation of all applications is done by the faculty and/or administrators of an academic unit, and is overseen by the SHC administration. The evaluation is typically based on:
- Academic achievement since beginning college
- Desire, ability, and motivation to conduct research or creative projects leading to the completion of an undergraduate honors thesis
- Interest in and aptitude for leadership, civic engagement, and international experiences as an undergraduate
The SHC requires Gateway applicants to have:
- At least one full-time semester of study completed at Penn State at the time of application (transfer applicants may request consideration based on their previous institution’s complete record)
- A minimum of four full-time semesters of study remaining before graduation
- A cumulative GPA of 3.70 or higher at the time of application
- An application semester GPA of 3.50 or higher for rising juniors and 3.70 for rising sophomores
The criteria stated here are minimums set by the SHC. In some cases, additional criteria for Gateway entry have also been established by the academic unit (e.g., higher cumulative GPA, specific courses, declaration of major, etc). The online application form includes additional criteria for your academic unit. In all cases, the department or academic college reviews applications and makes decisions which are communicated to applicants by the SHC.
The components of the Gateway application are:
- A transcript (which we attach to the application from LionPath after spring grades are posted)
- The name and email of a faculty reference whom the selection committee can contact
- Two essays:
- In 500 words or less, tell us why you are interested in joining the Schreyer Honors College
- In 500 words or less, tell us about a topic in your intended major that you might be interested in pursuing for honors thesis research or creative project if you are accepted into the Schreyer Honors College. Why is this topic of special interest to you? If you have already taken steps towards research or creative work in this topic, e.g. through a lab placement or work with a faculty member, please provide details.
Submit all of this to the Schreyer Honors College via the Gateway application process by May 10, 2018 for consideration. Good luck!