Need to build your resume? Consider Dr. Barclay’s Camp for Children with Diabetes — Applications are due March 31

Dr. Barclay’s Camp for Children with Diabetes is seeking 3-4 student dietitian volunteers, preferably in their junior or senior year, for the week of Saturday, July 14th – Saturday, July 21st. The camp is located within Camp Fitch in North Springfield, PA (about 30 minutes from Erie, PA). Student dietitians work with an interdisciplinary medical team while assisting campers with carbohydrate selections during meal time, passing AM. and P.M. snacks, informing the physicians of campers’ carbohydrate intake, participating in 3 A.M. blood glucose testing rounds with the medical team, and creating and presenting an educational game on nutrition and diabetes. Volunteers will stay at camp in “Mirto Lodge” for the entire week. Room and board is provided free of charge.

Penn State students who volunteered last summer were Madison Galascio, Panache Lim and Andrea Dudenhoefer.

Andrea shared the following:

“I would recommend this experience to any student because it provided a thorough understanding of diabetes, beyond what is learned in the classroom. I am more confident with carbohydrate counting and diet exchanges, and I have been able to discuss this experience in job interviews and personal statements for the DI.

If you are a junior, it is possible to work at this camp in addition to doing your field experience. I was able to request time off from my preceptor.  This experience helped me gain a better understanding of how to work as part of a team including physician assistants, medical residents, dietitians and food service staff. I loved helping at the camp because the medical staff was incredibly supportive and wanted us to have a hands-on experience as well as free time to participate in the camp activities like paddle boarding, horseback riding, and zip lining.”

To help us select students that would best be suited for this opportunity, please provide the following by March 31st via email or regular mail.

1. A copy of your resume.
  2. A statement explaining why this experience would be valuable to you or how you are suited for it.
  3. A copy of your “advising transcript”.

Email to Darlene at darprz@live.com and Renee at rslabic@aol.com, or send by regular mail:

• Renee Slabic, RD, LDN
  • 9570 Tileyard Rd.
  • Waterford, PA 16441

Selection for this volunteer opportunity will be made by April 30.

Please contact Darlene Przybyszewski at darprz@live.com with any questions. Applicants may also contact the former student volunteers with questions about their experience:

Madison: mgalascio@hotmail.com

Panache: panachelim@gmail.com

Andrea: andrearosedude@gmail.com