Wrap-Around Waterfall Braid

I would like to start by saying, this is one of my all-time favorite hairstyles! This is why I love Pinterest, it shows me an awesome hairstyle, that is so simple. It only takes me 5 minutes to do, and I love it, so I hope you do too! You can see the original pins here, here, and here.

1. Before beginning any braiding, I prepped my hair. I usually keep my hair curly when I attempt this for two reasons: first, I don’t like to straighten my hair too often, it damages it, and secondly, and more importantly, curly hair makes this hairstyle easier. If your hair is straight when you’re doing waterfall braid, like the second pin, you have to be deliberate with your hair-grabbing, making sure you keep a straight line, or it’ll look sloppy. Curly hair allows for more wiggle room, and actually looks better with a messy part.

So to get my hair to the right texture, I used some moose and scrunched my hair while blow-drying it. My personal fave is: Unite SCRUNCHA Gel (I know it’s more on the expensive side, but it’s the only product I’ll spend extra on, because it leaves your hair in a nice clean texture you can run your hands through).

2. Section a small corner of your hair near your face to begin the braid, it only has to be two to three inches wide. If you part your hair to the side, I recommend beginning it on the side with more hair.

3. Start off like you are doing a normal french braid, but stop before you grab more hair for the bottom section. Drop that bottom section, and grab a new section right behind the dropped section, this is the start of your waterfall braid! (If you have never done a waterfall braid, click here for a more in-depth tutorial on waterfall braids).

As you can see, I have bobby-pinned the section I dropped, and have grabbed a new section, directly behind the dropped section.

4. Continue the waterfall braid technique around your whole head. I like to make the braid at a slight angle, it’s easier to hold and adds an extra flair to the braid.

5. Once you get to your other ear, secure the braid with an elastic.

6. To complete the braid, I grab and hair surrounding my face, and pull it back over the braid, and bobby-pin it. This helps cover up the elastic, and secures the braid. If you want to tighten any part of the braid, just pull on the waterfall strands. 

And voila! You have mastered your first Pinterest hairstyle!

Happy Pinning,

Jule

What did you guys think of this hairstyle? Loved it? Hated it? Let me know! If you need me to clear up any sections, let me know!

Follow me on Pinterest!

3 thoughts on “Wrap-Around Waterfall Braid

1. Jule! I love that you chose to do the tutorial on the wrap-around waterfall braid. I have been trying to learn how to do this for so long. Awesome hairdo to put up! I definitely do not think that I will be able to master the wrap-around waterfall braid as well as you, but I definintely want to try.

2. This has made me so tempted to go back to my dorm and just play with my hair all day. I think the links you included are SO helpful, and for a hair amateur such as myself (let’s be real…I have Pippi Longstocking braids going right now), this definitely cleared up some things that I just couldn’t figure out in other tutorials.

3. I have tried to do this style of braid before with absolutely no success, but you make it look so easy! I am definitely going to try it again tonight using your tutorial. I also really liked the fact that you provided links to anything that may be of question or further interest. Very nice job and I’ll see you on Pinterest!