Rip Currents 101

For my last passion post, I decided to blog about something that is actually somewhat common (unfortunately).

A rip current is a powerful, fast-moving channel of water that usually flows from the shoreline the area where waves break. They can form on any beach or lake shore where waves break, often near sandbars and piers.

According to the USLA (United States Lifesaving Association), rip currents are the most dangerous worry for anyone who goes in the ocean while at the beach.

• More than 100 people die per year from rip-current related drownings (more than from shark attacks, tornadoes and lightning strikes combined).
  • At least 80% of lifeguard rescues are because of rip currents.

What does a rip current look like?

• A disrupted pattern of incoming waves.
  • A choppy passage of water that has a stirring motion.
  • A line of sea foam, seaweed or debris that is moving steadily out to sea.

grand_ave

What do you do if you do become stuck in a rip current? Try to remember these simple rules:

• Keep calm. Don’t fight the rip current.
  • To escape the rip current, swim sideways, parallel to the beach.
  • When out of the rip current, swim at an angle away from the rip current and toward shore.
  • If this plan of action doesn’t work, try to float or calmly tread water. Rip current strength eventually weakens offshore.
  • When it does, swim away from the rip current and head to the shore.
  • If at any time you are unable to reach the shore, draw attention to yourself: face the shore, wave your arms, and yell for help. A lifeguard will recognize this signs of distress and immediately help.

My last piece of advice about rip currents: pay attention to the flags that lifeguards use. Here are the meaning of the flag colors in Ocean City, MD.

Green flag: Mild ocean hazards with possibility of occasional larger waves and rip currents

Yellow flag: Moderate ocean hazards with frequent large waves and rip currents. Should be an experienced swimmer or surfer with proper equipment to enter into the surf zone

Red flag: Extremely hazardous ocean conditions with large powerful waves and strong rip currents. Only expert swimmers and surfers with proper equipment should enter the water.

Thanks for reading!

2 thoughts on “Rip Currents 101

1. I remember when my brother was around 8 he got taken by a rip current at the beach. It was around 6pm so none of the lifeguards were on duty and it was so scary. Luckily a young man jumped in and saved him. Rip currents definitely need to be taken seriously,

2. I think all of us have heard of rip current, but think that they are simply random and unforeseeable events. This blog helps to give a “face” to the danger. For instance I now know what a rip current looks like from shore and the flag indications of water safety. This could possibly be a lifesaving blog post for anyone lucky enough to be going to the beach over Thanksgiving break! Thanks for the ocean blog this semester as well. It is always nice to hear from someone who loves it as much as (or more than) I do.