RSS Feed

Bringing High School Boys to College.

February 3, 2016 by Olivia Kathleen Richards   

Hello Ladies…

Now that you’ve decided that Penn State is right for you. I hope to prepare you for your freshman year, before you get here! While my freshman has been a fantastic experience so far, I’ve already learned so much and my friends have as well. We all have made a few mistakes but most of them were made because I was never told about the situation and its possibilities.

So, I’d like to start with something that is near and dear to many hearts.

Don’t come with a boyfriend unless it IS THE TRUEST and, in the words of Iggy, “the realest” relationship possible. Once again, DO NOT come to college with a boyfriend. Many girls learn this the hard way.

There are many fish in the Happy Valley sea. This was advice that my friend gave me before I came to school. I’m so glad that I took it. Towards the end of my senior year, I took some time for a bit of self-reflection. While I thought and thought about how great my relationship had been, I realized that it wasn’t the same as it used to be when we were younger and that I felt like it was a friendship and not a relationship. Nicely ending a relationship is incredibly difficult but it was what I had to do, knowing that I was coming to Penn State in a month.

I was afraid of feeling tied down to anyone at that point. I wanted to have the freshman experience. I knew that if I were still in a relationship, I would be too busy worrying about him, how he is doing and when he would come visit, instead of living up the short time I have here in college. Freshman year is the time to live it up simply because of the fact that everything is easier. Freshman year lacks commitment and it lacks difficult classes. If you want to attempt to go out three nights a week, freshman year is the time to do it because it will be virtually impossible at any other time in college. You have a completely clean slate. Prepare yourself for new experiences with new people who have no idea who you are or where you’re coming from. Take advantage of that. If you want to make a change, there will be no better time than your freshman year.

Guys come and go. A dear friend came to Penn State with a long distance boyfriend. He was rude but claimed that he was an angel in college, hours away from Penn State. He always hated on Penn State too (tisk tisk). She soon realized that he had been taking advantage of the distance and cheated on her, after years of being together. He broke her heart. It broke my heart to watch it all happen. We always think those things don’t happen to us, until they do. So, we all learn that most guys are as perfect as they seem.

If you want to come to school with a boyfriend, simply talk it over. Consider the seriousness of your relationship. Be 110% sure that you have a plan to make it work. Prioritize your college experience. You wouldn’t want to miss out on any of the freshman year fun at Penn State.

3 Comments »

1. Phillip R. Clauer says:

I personally did not bring a boyfriend to college and have no plans to start dating a boy now or in the future. So like Brandon I cannot relate to much to this post, but it does seem like good logic. Freshman year is a huge transition and seemingly a constant struggle between old aspects of your life and everything that is new. I am curious if you think that school and other academic activities should take a priority over some social aspects of the freshman transition because college is a huge balancing act in my opinion. I am looking forward to hearing more from you as this blog progresses.

2. Mary Ohara says:

I love this! Pretty sure I mentioned that I was in the same position when I was in summer session on your last post. Looking back and seeing how much fun my friends had during the summer is really hard when it could have been avoided. Guys suck.

3. Brandon F Cruz says:

Well, Im not a girl so Im not sure if I can relate to much of this… But it was well written and seemed pretty sincere. Maybe I can start using your blog to finally understand how girls work? Nah, this is not possible. Anyways I really love your idea of giving freshmen advice! Many of these tips for relationships seem pretty helpful. Relationships going into college is quite the touchy subject and you addressed it well!

You must be logged in to post a comment.