Yay! Its Jon B. week! Jon Bellion, a breakout artist and songwriter who has been making waves in the pop industry lately, happens to be one of my favorite musicians. I’m not gonna go all hipster on you and say that I’ve been “a fan since the beginning”, but I do feel like I’m pretty qualified to say he’s my favorite. I have been to two of his concerts (my first one was two years ago today)  and I had the time of my life. In continuing with my tradition to review older albums, I want to talk about Jon Bellion’s The Definition. In my opinion, its more authentic than The Human Condition because it deals with real-life issues and experiences more than experiences due to fame, and it’s a little more polished than The Separation. I guess I’m like Goldilocks, and this album is just right for me.

“Pre-Occupied”- I love Jon’s playful-but-serious attitude here, where he talks about how he was told his attention span aligned “somewhat with the child or the fly”, but that’s okay because his brain has gifted him the awesome ability to write songs. The other thing that makes me happy when I listen to this song is how he laughs during it. There’s always just a hint of a smile in his voice.

“Jungle”- This track makes New York City analogous to a jungle, and Jon tells his girl that he’ll protect her here, where the animals run rampant. The chorus is incredibly catchy- “You’re too pretty, you’re too pretty and New York City is a jungle out there”. On the whole “Jungle” comes off as sweet and caring.

“Simple & Sweet”- Aptly named, this song doesn’t come with a lot of background music, it’s mostly the sound of Jon’s voice and one electronic-sounding beat. Basically, he sings about wanting to keep drama out of his relationship and just focus on love. It’s just a chill song to put on and sing to when no one is home.

“Ooh”- Probably the most romantic on this album, this track gives an otherworldly feel. My favorite line is “Your lips they taste like June, your eyes are a rocket to the moon.” The whole song is just praising a girl and the magical way she makes him feel. Trust me, if you listen to it you’ll feel magical too.

“Luxury”- The most unique thing about “Luxury” is the fact that the chorus is not made up of words, but of a trumpet solo. The point here is that Jon wants whoever he is singing to to help him remain focused and not get caught up in the possessions, or “let my soul drown in the luxury”. Also, the fact that he gives credit to God for his lyrics and success makes me feel better about his music, because he isn’t just one of those gloating singers.

The big takeaway from this album is that Jon Bellion writes beautiful lyrics, but the feeling he puts into them through the music makes all the difference. In every song, you get a certain vibe that exactly matches up with the message that is trying to be conveyed. This is the reason why his music is fresh and interesting, and why his success will continue to skyrocket above other boring pop singers.