Looking back at my previous posts, I noticed that I had only reviewed modern pop albums. This inspired me to start going in a different direction: classic rock. When I was younger I always hated it when my parents would make my siblings and I listen to a rock station in the car, but since coming to college I have gained an immense appreciation for the music they enjoy. I think that it helps me feel at home even when I’m hours away. I grew up listening to songs from artists like John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and my favorite: Fleetwood Mac. Their album Rumours, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. The songs range from intense, powerful anthems, to soft tender ballads. One of my favorite things about this band is how the vocalists each have such a unique quality to their voices, and they blend together for strangely fantastic results. Some of the songs are voiced by a combination of band members, while some contain just one musician’s voice. This week, I really urge the you to listen along while reading or maybe the next time you’re looking for new music, check this album out.

One important thing to keep in mind about this band is that during the making of this album, they were experiencing many interpersonal struggles. Vocalists Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in the midst of breaking up, and then getting back together, with some cheating mixed in. John McVie (bass) and Christine McVie (keyboard and vocals) had just gotten a divorce. To top it all of, Mick Fleetwood (drums) had just discovered that his wife had been cheating on him. It turns out that these struggles made for some incredible songs.

“Never Going Back Again”- There is something amazing about this song that I can’t describe. The melody is light and airy, and Lindsey Buckingham sings in his unconventional style while playing the guitar, using his thumb and forefingers to play different parts of the sound you hear. The lyrics are very simple too, which is something that makes it easy to enjoy.

“Songbird”- Christine McVie croons on this track in such a beautiful tone that it makes me want to listen to it over and over again. I often find myself humming along out loud because I really can’t help it. She sings about unconditional love and acceptance of a love. My favorite line is right in the beginning, when she sings “For you, there’ll be no more crying”. You have to listen to it to understand why I love it so much.

“Silver Springs”- This song showcases Stevie Nicks’ abnormal but stunning voice. She has such a dynamic range, and can inflect so much emotion. In the beginning, she sounds hopeful about a relationship (probably hers and Lindsey Buckingham’s), but then as the song goes on, she realizes that they can’t make it work, and she is jealous of his new girlfriend. By the end, she sounds almost vindictive, saying “Time cast a spell on you, but you won’t forget me/ I know I could have loved you but you would not let me”. I would say that this is my favorite song on the album because of Stevie’s delivery.

Unfortunately, the band had to draw on some deeply personal feelings in order to make the album, but it was ultimately worth it. I mentioned some of the more tender songs, but if you would like to listen to more intense rock songs, try “Go Your Own Way” or “The Chain”. Or better yet, just listen to all of Rumours.