Here we are, halfway through the semester, and I think that I’ve snapped out of my mood of only wanting to listen to music that my parents like (oops). For the past year or so, I have been listening to Hozier’s only album, Hozier, and honestly lamenting the fact that he doesn’t have any more music. So rarely do I come across an artist that can produce what I think is an album that is enjoyable from start to finish, sort of like all the songs fit together. The Irish singer released it in 2014, and since then so many fans have been awaiting a follow-up. Thankfully, I have heard that he is almost done putting together his new album! For now though, I’ll have to marvel at the perfection he created with his self-titled debut.

If there’s one thing I have gathered from Hozier’s music, it is that he is tremendously romantic, in a sort of all-in kind of way. He always seems to be singing about how the person he loves will save him, or how she is the only thing he needs in his life. In this way, sometimes his music crosses into a sort of darker zone, but this style fits so well with the soulful passion in his voice.

“Jackie and Wilson”- My favorite thing about this song is the guitar riff in the beginning, it just draws me in and makes me wanna dance around. According to theme, it’s about Andrew (a.k.a Hozier) finding a woman who brings out the best version of him. The chorus says “She’s gonna save me, call me baby, run her hands through my hair…. /We’ll name our children Jackie and Wilson, raise ’em on rhythm and blues”. I love how he incorporates his love for music into the romance, paying tribute to soul singer Jackie Wilson. Overall, the style of this song is extremely soulful, but mixed with more of a rock vibe, and that’s why I think it’s so fascinating to me.

“From Eden”-  From the first croon of “Babe” in this song, he has me feeling so happy. It’s interesting because while the music is so uplifting, the words are actually more dark. He talks about how their love is tragic, how she is so lonesome, and compares himself to a serpent that “slithers” from the garden of Eden to see her. Andrew tends to compare the person he loves to an almost godly being compared to himself, and invokes the feeling that his love borders on obsession. Despite all of this, I love the line “Honey, you’re familiar like my mirror years ago” because it’s such an interesting use of words and shows off his songwriting ability.

“Work Song”- “Work Song” made me truly fall in love with Hozier’s music. The thing that I love most about it is that the words are so believable because the music perfectly compliments the feeling that he means to convey. Basically, Andrew talks about how he doesn’t understand how other people work long hard days without a motivation to go home to (Boys workin on empty/ is that the kinda way to face the burning heat?/ I just think about my baby/ I’m so full of love I could barely eat). The rhythmic beats of the drum and the low background music make me think about him working all day in a repetitive task. Unsurprisingly, the chorus discusses how the singer feels that not even death will keep him from his love. Overall, it’s extremely romantic in a sweet way, with an added element of darkness that feels fitting for one of Hozier’s songs.

As I mentioned earlier, I think this album is PERFECT, so go get the full experience by listening to it all 🙂