Denver, the Mile High City

Image result for denver colorado

Colorado is a vast and varied state in landscape, however the vast majority of the population lives in the Greater Denver Area. Of the 5 million people who live in Colorado, 3.5 million of them live in this region. To have any understanding of Colorado, one must first get a grip on Denver. Denver is the economic, geographic, and cultural center of Colorado and the entirety of the Mountain West and Great Plains regions.

Image result for denver colorado

The first thing to know about Denver is the airport. If you are travelling to anywhere in Colorado, then you will fly into Denver International Airport (DIA). DIA is actually quite far from the city being located 25 miles east of Denver on the great plains. The old airport was located closer to the city but when the new airport was built in 1995, they chose to build it farther east because of cheaper flatter land, and to allow planes flying west more time to begin ascent into the Rockies. DIA is the largest airport, in size, in all of North America and oftentimes considered one of the nicest. However, the security line is one of the worst ones I’ve been through and the airport is also the topic of a strange conspiracy involving the “New World Order” and Freemasons, because of these strange murals and the fact that the runways appear to look similar to a swastika.

Image result for denver international airport

Anyhow, once you leave the airport, there is actually quite a lot to do in the Denver Area. Downtown Denver features many attractions such as the Botanical Gardens, the Colorado Statehouse, the Denver Zoo, and most importantly Larimer Square. Larimer Square is located in Denver’s historic district and gives a very “old west vibe.” Today it’s filled with shops, bars, and restaurants. Some of the best steak in the country can be found here. However, if you are ever at a Colorado restaurant and notice “Rocky Mountain Oysters on the Menu”, know that they are referring to “fried cow-testicles” (it’s a delicacy in Colorado, apparently).

Image result for larimer square denver

However, Denver’s best locations are located west of the city. First there is Red Rock Amphitheatre, a unique outdoor concert venue. Many of the most popular musicians of all genres make this a perennial spot for tours. The beautiful red rocks surrounding the venue eliminate the experience.

Image result for red rocks amphitheatre

Mount Evans is another popular attraction. While not the most beautiful or tallest mountain in Colorado, it is the closest 14,000 ft peak to Denver and is unique because you can drive to the top.

Image result for mount evans

If your trip continues into the heart of the Rockies, then I definitely recommend taking a brief stop in Golden. Located at the foothills about 20 miles west of Denver, this “Old Cowboy” town is perfectly situated between the city and the mountains and a perfect lunch spot. Denver has much to offer but is only the tip of the Colorado ice-berg.

Image result for golden colorado

3 thoughts on “Denver, the Mile High City

1. I learned a lot of information in the blog post that I think would be really helpful if I go to Colorado. I really like how you provided info on the airport!

2. It is really interesting to know about different places in Colorado. I started to know Denver because of the Nuggets. I knew that it was a high altitude place where every team would fear to play games. Now, after reading your article, I know even more about Denver, and the beautiful sights trigger me to travel there. Maybe the next spring break, I can arrange a trip there.

3. Denver sounds like it would be a fun place to visit. The information about the airport was a nice addition. It sounds like there is a lot to do in Denver and it would be a nice time there. I would definitely like to visit.