Crispy Chicken Sandwich

Crunch. That’s the sound you hear when you bite into the mouth watery chicken sandwich at Dairy Queen. I know you’re thinking, how can an ice cream place serve good food? I wondered that as well before my family decided to open up a DQ, however my perception changed after I tried the secret weapon – the chicken sandwich.

The first bite of the sandwich is like popping bubble wrap. The sound is so satisfying! The crunch not only comes from the crispy, warm chicken, but it also comes from the iceberg lettuce, a staple in DQ’s chicken sandwich. The other two ingredients are mayo and tomatoes. Both are necessary for you to get the whole experience. The mayo brings together the whole sandwich. It is the perfect topping on the chicken sandwich. The tomato, of course, is a staple on any sandwich or burger. DQ also serves a spicy option of the chicken sandwich; it has flamethrower sauce, which adds a little kick to each bite. Here’s a recipe to make your own flamethrower sauce. The lettuce and tomatoes are like bright hues on an artist’s palette. Finally, let’s talk about the buns. NO sandwich is complete with the buns. They literally are the glue which holds together the sandwich. It complements the crispness of the chicken but it’s baby-like softness.

The sandwich wouldn’t be a part of the menu if it wasn’t customizable! My way of customizing the chicken sandwich is to add pepper jack cheese. A coworker once made me a chicken sandwich with pepper jack cheese and I have not looked back since. Every chicken sandwich I make at DQ has to have pepper jack cheese. It is the perfect complement to the sandwich. Being Indian, I prefer some spice in my food, so the pepper jack cheese helps me feel the sandwich isn’t bland. Sometimes I even like to cut the sandwich in half, which makes me feel like a true chef. I also like to make the sandwich a combo with some fries or cheese curds and a soft drink. The cheese curds will definitely be a blog post in the future. 

The experience isn’t over without getting ice cream, like a small strawberry sundae, that perfectly ends the meal. You have the perfect combination of hot and cold with the chicken sandwich and ice cream. My dad prefers a chocolate sundae with chopped peanuts to complement his chicken sandwich, but to each their own. As long as you get ice cream and a sandwich, I won’t judge you. 

The Dairy Queen Chicken Sandwich is a culinary masterpiece, where every element is carefully crafted to create a symphony of flavors and textures. From the tender chicken filet to the light breading, the soft buns, fresh toppings, and customizable sauces, it’s an experience that you won’t soon forget. This sandwich is not just a meal; it’s a work of art for your taste buds, and a must-try for all sandwich enthusiasts. Don’t forget the next time you drive by a DQ, make sure to stop and order a chicken sandwich.

4 thoughts on “Crispy Chicken Sandwich”

1. Reading your description of the DQ chicken sandwich on a Friday morning has definitely got my stomach grumbling! I too love a good chicken sandwich, so I would be interested to see how DQ’s take on the classic meal compares to that of Chick-Fil-A or even Shake Shack. The fact that your family owns a DQ restaurant is also extremely unique! Have you gained a lot of insight to the managerial/business side of the fast-food industry?

2. I’ve only been to Dairy Queen once in my life. I had a Reese’s ice cream something. I had absolutely no idea that they served anything but ice cream. I wonder if that’s a response to the competitive chicken sandwich market. Even here at Penn State, at dining hall places like the Redifer City Grill, chicken sandwiches have become a staple, especially being fully customizable like you mentioned. It seems as though fast food is just a representation of the economy, and I feel like this fit right into this idea.

3. I have a love-hate relationship with reading this blog because I love reading about food, but I also hate it because in the end I am starving and now I want to go get a Dairy Queen chicken sandwich. When I go out to eat at fast food I normally always get a chicken sandwich. That being said I always forget that Dairy Queen has things other than Blizzards and ice cream. I am definitely going to have to try this chicken sandwich to see if it competes with other fast-food chicken sandwiches.

4. Man, I might have to go get a crispy chicken sandwich from Redifer City Grill after that read (Although it won’t be nearly as good). I remember when Dairy Queen went from being an ice cream place, to selling food as well, and I remember not having very good expectations, but they sure proved me wrong!