8″ Oreo Blizzard Cake

Following in the footsteps of last week’s post, this week I am going to be talking about my favorite cake of all time, the Oreo blizzard cake. Ever since I was a kid I only preferred ice cream cake. I never liked frosting or the spongy texture of regular vanilla and chocolate cake mixed with my love for ice cream, put ice cream cake right in my hands. It doesn’t matter if the cake is from Coldstone or Giant or DQ, I love all types of Oreo ice cream cake, but owning a DQ makes ice cream cakes more accessible to me.

There’s just something magical about the Oreo blizzard cake that speaks to my soul. Maybe it’s the combination of the creamy ice cream, the crunchy Oreo pieces, and that delicious fudge swirl running through it all. No matter the reason, whenever I see that iconic Oreo blizzard cake, my mouth starts watering and I can’t resist diving in for a slice (or two). The contrast of textures and flavors is simply irresistible. It’s like a party in my mouth with every spoonful! I may not have a sweet tooth, but I will always have time to indulge in some Oreo ice cream cake.

Dairy Queen’s ice cream cakes are different from their competitors. In the middle of every blizzard cake you will find a layer of cold fudge and crunch filling. The cold fudge is a decadent addition to the cake, adding a rich and thick layer of chocolatey goodness. The cold fudge serves multiple purposes in the cake; it adds a burst of chocolate flavor, creates a contrast to the creamy ice cream, and binds all the layers together.

In the same layer is the crunch base. It is arguably the signature element of any DQ ice cream cake The crunch provides a textural contrast to the smooth ice cream and fudge layers, and adds a depth of flavor in the cake. I know for me, this is the best part of the cake because it tastes good and it pairs perfectly with the rest of the cake. The crunch ensures that every bite is as enjoyable as the last.

The Oreo blizzard cake sets itself apart when its competitors. Even at DQ, the Oreo cakes outsells the PB Cup cake or the Chocolate Brownie Extreme cake. I would say it’s in everyone’s best interest to eat Oreo blizzard cake from any DQ (please come to mine only). Oh, and don’t forget at DQ we can customize your cakes and write any message that you would like. So, next time you drive by a DQ, make sure to stop and order a Oreo Blizzard cake.

Red Velvet Blizzard Cupid Cake

Love is in the air, more than anytime of the year. With Valentine’s day coming up, I thought it’s fitting that I write a post about the Red Velvet Blizzard Cupid Cake. Dairy Queen only sells the Red Velvet Blizzard and Cupid Cake during February, more specifically Valentine’s day. For the 3 weeks that the blizzard and cake are in season, they are the highest selling treats in their respective categories. The word “cupid” should tell you all there is to know about the cake. The 6″ cake serves two, perfect to eat with your significant other.

Let me get into the ingredients!

1. Vanilla ice cream: the base of every blizzard and cake. Arguably, the most important ingredient that Dairy Queen has in it’s inventory.
    2. Red velvet cake pieces: the cake that embodies Valentine’s day, characterized by its deep red color. I think red velvet can be eaten around any time of year, but like hot cocoa, red velvet cake has its season.
    3. Cream cheese base: the perfect complement to the red velvet cake pieces, bringing out the cocoa and subtle hints of buttermilk. Its creaminess goes hand in hand with the soft, crumbly texture of the red velvet pieces.

Now that we’ve gone over the ingredients, I think that’s time that I teach you guys how to make a DQ cake. One key difference from the Red Velvet Blizzard Cupid cake and other DQ cakes is that the cupid cake isn’t made with chocolate crunch in the middle.

Let’s go over steps to make the Red Velvet Blizzard Cupid Cake!

1. To make a 6″ heart cake, you also need to make a large Red Velvet blizzard. Fill the cup halfway with vanilla ice cream, then 4 spoons of red velvet pieces, and half a scoop of cream cheese.
    2. Grab a blizzard ring and place it on the cup. Fill the cup up with more vanilla ice cream until the first notch of the ring, and then blend thoroughly with the blizzard machine.
    3. You grab the heart ring from the freezer. The ring needs to be frozen, otherwise the ice cream starts to melt quickly.
    4. Put the ring on a circle board, and fill the ring up 1/4 – 1/3 of the way with vanilla ice cream.
    5. Fill the rest of heart ring with the blizzard you made earlier.
    6. Put back in the freezer for a couple minutes.
    7. Take the cake out of the freezer, take the ring off, and decorate!
Dharmesh Makwana, owner and operator

While the public loves the blizzard, this is what owner and operator, Dharmesh Makwana (my dad), has to say, “As the name says, it is very velvety. It doesn’t change the smoothness of the ice cream and it melts away in your mouth.” If you won’t take my word for it, take my dad’s; he’s the expert on all things DQ. So, next time you drive by a DQ, make sure to stop and order a Red Velvet Blizzard Cupid Cake.