Lily Tomlin Who?

“Did you see that Lily Tomlin was on Ellen again?”

“What’s that?”

Location Overheard: HUB

I’m not sure what the “what’s that?” was in reference to here. But whether it was about either Ellen or Lily Tomlin I am severely disappointed in this person’s reaction of not knowing either individual. What a disgrace to the 21st century. For those of you who don’t know, Ellen is clearly in reference to the popular daytime television host Ellen DeGeneres while Lily Tomlin is an American actress, comedian, and singer who is now popular for her show Grace & Frankie with co-star Jane Fonda. Both women are absolutely hysterical and are practically legendary.

So, for this blog post, I will be featuring Lily Tomlin and her very entertaining role as Frankie in Grace & Frankie (Thank you to whoever brought up Lily Tomlin on Ellen because now I get to talk about one of my favorite shows).

Grace & Frankie (2015)

Grace & Frankie is a Netflix Original that has featured five brilliant seasons of comedic gold and entertaining storylines. Season 6 has been renewed and will be uploaded to Netflix in 2020. The show features two women, played by Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda, whose husbands leave them for each other. In an attempt to get over the shocking news, Grace and Frankie, who are polar opposites, become close friends as they try to navigate their new worlds. Frankie, who’s an eccentric and earthy aspiring artist, who smokes a bit too much marijuana and sages the beach house in her free time finds support in Grace, who’s a fashionable businesswoman addicted to pain medication who drinks martinis at eight o’clock in the morning. Both go on various adventures together as their ex-husbands Sol and Robert begin their new lives together as husbands.

I started this series over Christmas break and finished all 5 seasons by the time I returned to Penn State and even got my mother addicted The episodes are only twenty-five minutes long and the plot is light and funny. I highly recommend starting this series if you want something new that won’t drain you of energy by attempting to keep up with the storyline and characters.

Lily Tomlin even earned four Emmy nominations and one Golden Globe nomination for her performance in Grace & Frankie. 

Honestly, I just hope I age as well as Lily Tomlin and still have the ability to be so quick-witted even at the age of 79. And to whoever it was that was unaware of Lily Tomlin, well, I just hope that one day her hysterical presence will enter into your life in one way or another.

lily tomlin mic drop GIF by NETFLIX