Behind-the-scenes tour of EMS Museum Collections!

We have a new event for your calendars – we have organized a private, behind-the-scenes tour of the EMS Museum Collections with the Collections Manager for the EMS Museum, Patti Finkle!
  • Date: Wednesday 17th May
  • Time: 4pm
  • Location: off campus in the Special Services Building (Standing Stone Lane, State College)
  • Partners & family welcome
So that we can confirm numbers and coordinate lifts for those who need them, please RSVP here by Weds 10th Mayhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tjy8gOBAhk21QdxFvd5SCgDsvgpk1SYPvndcNqHetlM/edit?usp=sharing
Please don’t hesitate to email us and/or post on the PoEMS slack channel if you have any questions.

Nittany Meadow Farm Visit

We are thrilled to invite you to a visit to Nittany Meadow Farm on Sunday, April 16 at 6:00 PM. This family-owned farm is located at 227 Nittany Meadow Farm Lane in Boalsburg, and we have reserved a special 30-minute time slot to play with their friendly goats. For postdocs who are feeling the stress of the end of the semester, spending time with these adorable animals can be a great way to boost your serotonin levels and recharge your batteries. And for families with kids, it’s a fun and educational activity that everyone can enjoy.

The visit is open to anyone ages 5 and up, and we’ll have plenty of time to explore the farm and meet some of the other animals as well. If you’ve never been to Nittany Meadow Farm before, you’re in for a treat – the owners are passionate about sustainable farming and animal welfare, and their commitment to ethical practices is evident in everything they do.

More info on the goat visit can be found at https://www.nittanymeadowfarm.com/goat-visit. If you would like to attend, please fill out this Google Form for yourself and any minors. Also, please email carstens@psu.edu if you would like to attend and need a ride. The exact cost varies based on the group size, but it should be in the ballpark of $15 per person.

April EMS Postdoc Spotlight

Dr. Livio Santos, Energy and Mineral Engineering

Advised by Dr. Arash Dahi Taleghani

As a postdoctoral researcher specializing in geomechanics, my work centers on the critical aspect of wellbore integrity in the energy industry. Through years of developing both experimental and numerical research, I’ve gained an in-depth understanding of the importance of preventing fugitive methane emissions from oil and gas operations.

One area of particular interest to me has been the application of smart and nano materials in wellbore engineering. By incorporating these advanced materials into my research, I’ve been able to explore new ways of improving the strength and durability of wellbore structures, which helps minimize the risk of leaks and other failures. During my postdoc, I also expanded my research to include the rapidly growing field of geothermal energy, incorporating machine learning techniques to better understand subsurface reservoir behavior. I’m proud to have co-authored a book on wellbore integrity, which summarizes many of the advancements in the field.

Outside of the lab, I enjoy exploring the natural beauty of the area through activities like biking in the Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests. This year, I’ve challenged myself even further by training for the Happy Valley Ironman 70.3. It’s been a tough but incredibly rewarding journey, and I’m excited to see what I can achieve on race day!

PoEMS Research Showcase – Thank you!

We just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who came out to our first Research Showcase! We were so thrilled to see such a great turnout and all the engagement from our attendees.

We also want to give a big shoutout to all the amazing presenters who took the time to share their research with us. We were blown away by the range of topics and the innovative approaches used in each presentation. It was an incredibly insightful experience, and we learned so much from each other. We’re already taking notes on how to make next year’s showcase even better!

Thanks again to all who attended and made our first Research Showcase such a success. We can’t wait to see you all again next year for an even bigger and better event!