October EMS Postdoc Spotlight

Dr. Eduardo Perez Macho, Meteorology and Atmospheric Science

Advised by Dr. William Bristow

I’ve been involved in space weather research since my PhD degree in Brazil, focusing on analyzing the ionospheric dynamics, which are influenced by the solar activity, primary within low and medium latitudes and spanning a 11 years period, encapsulating and entire solar cycle. The importance of this research is that the ionosphere, located beyond the altitude of 100 km, impacts signals from high-orbiting satellites, especially those responsible for navigation, such as GPS. This interactions can make the navigation inaccurate or even unavailable. For this studies, we use several equipment: ionosonde, a specialized radar that emits signals vertically and gauges the time taken for them to return; GPS receiver, which measures the total electron content from the satellite to the receiver, so it is able to infer the electron density, and also analyses the scintillation of the signal; VLF (Very Low Frequency), an ionospheric device that is able to evaluate the traveling signal over very long distances; and riometer, which is an old kind of antenna that captures signal from the galactic center, so we know its absorption in the ionosphere.

My postdoctoral research continues the ionospheric studies, particularly focused on a very powerful HF radar called SuperDARN, composed by an array of 20 antennas at each site. The main purpose of this radar is to understand the plasma convection within high and medium latitude regions, among many other objectives. The SuperDARN is an international network with 35 radars, and our research group is responsible for four of them – two in Antarctica and two in Alaska.

What has been most gratifying about this research is the opportunity to embark on expeditions to remote locations, where our equipment is installed. Two great experiences include my expedition to the Brazilian Station in Antarctica, and an expedition to two remote sites in Alaska. The plan for this year is to return to Antarctica, where I will visit two different American Stations – McMurdo, the most populated station, capable of supporting up to 1500 people, and Amundsen-Scott, at the very hearth of South Pole.